Ep. 15- The Angels' Sorrow

Mickayla returned to the console room, wearing a dress of navy blue lace with a metallic gold under-dress. It had a high neckline and short sleeves, and the waist sat down at her hips, from where it flowed loosely until her knees. To finish the look, she wore little black heels with a single strap, a long necklace of pearls, and her hair done up with a feather. She twirled for the Doctor.

     "Oh, look at you! You're a right proper flapper!" He took her hand and spun her about her arm, and they did the Charleston together. It ended in hysterical laughter and Mickayla leaned against the outer railings. Her laughter slowly died off, and she stared at him sadly as he stood with his back to her at the console. How she loved him. But he could never feel the same. She plastered the smile back on her face so he wouldn't notice.

     "Ready?"  He asked her brightly.

     "Oh yes!" She mocked him in good fun and as the TARDIS began her flight through the time vortex, Mickayla was thrown forward into the control panel, to which she clung. They landed with a thud and the Doctor held the door for her.

     "London, in the roarin' twenties! 'Cause there ain't no party like a nineteen twenties party!" She laughed at this and he took her hand, letting it swing between them as they walked down the busy streets.

     "I love the nineteen twenties," he told her, "A time of innovation and progression, and scientific discovery. The war is over, the economy is up, and everybody is living life." He said the last two words with extra force. They laughed and chatted until they reached their first destination- a dance hall. They found a table and Mickayla sat while the Doctor just threw his coat across a seat.

     "Why are you sitting down?" He asked, and she stared at the hand he offered her.

     "Oh no. I'm a musician. I don't dance- it's really quite embarrassing."

     "Says who? I don't believe in bad dancing." He pulled her up, "And when in twenties, do as the flappers do."  He pulled her out into the thick of it, despite her pleading look. However, she was also trying not to laugh.

     "We should do some disco. That'd really freak 'em out."

     They didn't do disco, but they did do the Charleston again, the Doctor's foot going back when hers went forward. As he spun her she nearly lost her balance, sending her reeling back, and the Doctor pulled her into a dip. They black-bottomed, Lindy-hopped and fox-trotted until she was flushed in the face and out of breath.

     "I'm going to get something to drink." He said, nearly yelling over the noise. He spun her one last time, in the direction their table and she sat, wide eyed and laughing between breaths. The Doctor joined her with a pale yellow drink, complete with straw and umbrella.

     "I love banana daiquiris. I think I invented them at a party of Madam DuPompadour's." He knocked some back and placed it on the table. Mickayla picked it up, sipping experimentally.

     "I didn't think you drank. Isn't it against your religion, or something?"

     "Being drunk, yes. But there's nothing wrong with one every now and then. Even Jesus drank." The Doctor reached over to take it back for himself, but Mickayla pulled away, sucking back as much as she could.

     "Blimey, if you like it that much, I'll get you your own." He left again through the crowd until the people blocked him from her view. She found herself smiling around the straw as she bit down on it. She casually leaned back, sipping the Doctor's banana daiquiri.

     This is what I love about life with the Doctor. It wasn't the running and the fighting, although that was fun in it's own way, but it was living her life in more ways than just how she knew it. Her friends and family were back home, doing their usual things like sleeping, eating, school, work and chores. All milling about, gossiping about each other and planning meals for the week.  But Mickayla was halfway across the stars, conversing with beings and using technology that the human race didn't even know existed- or in nineteen twenty-three, drinking a daiquiri in a dance hall. It was the first hand experience of other ways of life that she loved.