Chapter 6

My dear readers, I do apologize for the excessive delay. uni life turned out to be very consuming :3

I do hope this is worth the while! xx

_______________________________________________________________

A rush of warm night air greeted her. Blinding lights. Sounds, people, crowds, life. So many details, and yet for a moment Louis was lost in a blur of lights and noises. She wanted to take it all in; she wanted to stand there for hours relishing this extraordinary feeling of freedom.

But she knew better.

Josh could only distract Scarlett for so long, and she wanted to be gone as far as possible when Scarlett noticed she was missing. Josh had instructed her to keep walking to the left down the road and take the third left turn and wait for him outside Bloomingdale’s. She’d never been inside of course, but she had heard of the shop plenty of times when she was in university. As a matter of fact, she’d never actually been inside any shop since her father’s death. Scarlett had always left the bare necessary for her in her room during her university days.

Putting her head down just in case a customer she knew was around the club, she walked quickly down the street. Excitement was bubbling up inside her; she had no words to describe the state of ecstasy she was currently in. One turn, she counted…more people, walking, talking, laughing, some of them arguing, others walking in silence. Even though she’d seen it all before, it felt and seemed different now; as though she were seeing everything for the first time, or perhaps through the eyes of a changed woman.

Second turn, she mentally noted as she passed that as well. A hot dog stand was on her right on the sidewalk, and she couldn’t stop her eyes from lingering on it for the tiniest fraction of a second. All she’d been eating since she was 16 was rabbit food; tasteless salads and protein bars. Thinking of all the foods she could now eat, her mouth started watering. Concentrate, she mentally reproached herself.

Third turn; she was finally there. She quickly turned the corner and saw the large board boasting Bloomingdale’s name. Walking towards it swiftly with her head down, it crossed her mind that she didn’t have a penny to her name at the moment. She also wondered how Josh was getting on with his little play…

***

“That’s the one!” taking out a Perrier-Jouet that must have cost at least 10 grand. It had taken him 9 minutes to pick this bottle, but he knew that if he pushed Scarlett a little more she’d become more suspicious than she already was.

Retracing their steps all the way back to the black door, they both stopped in front of it as Scarlett waited for Josh to produce his key to open the door.

Fumbling with his left pocket; the one out of Scarlett’s direct line of sight, Josh drops a set of keys.

He bends down to pick them up quickly, snatching the other set that were hidden for him beside the plant pot beside the door in one fluid movement. Straightening up, he inserts the key in the hole, and, with one last look at Scarlett’s scrunched up face, closes the door behind him.

It was as though the red and gold walls mocked him. They stared at him for a few seconds while he just stood there leaning against the door. Disconcerted by the meaning those colours must have on Louis, he took his phone out and pressed send. Before the minute was up, he opened the door again, and there she was, Scarlett, still staring at the door, only she was a few feet away. Now she stomped towards him angrily, “What else?”

“I forgot to ask you for a corkscrew.”

“There’s one inside!” she exclaimed, the frustration clearly visible on her face.