02.

02

"You're home early," Chelsea remarked as she watched Sarah, her roommate trudge inside the apartment, kicking her boots off without a word.

Sarah nodded at her best friend. "Hiya, Chel."

Chelsea's short, red hair was tied back in a small ponytail and she had clear blue eyes that were regarding Sarah with concern. Her heart-shaped lips formed into a playful pout. "You didn't even touch breakfast."

A faint smile played on Sarah's lips. "I wasn't planning on suicide anytime soon."

"Hey!" Chelsea crossed her arms across her chest. "My cooking's not that bad."

She rolled her eyes. "You're right, it's worse," she murmured as she stepped around her friend and made her way into her room.

Chel stuck out her tongue at her when she heard her. "Bitch..."

The small smile disappeared as soon as Sarah closed the door behind her and sighed. It was hard putting up a brave face, especially around Chel who knew her more than she probably knew herself. They had after all been together through good times and bad ever since middle school.

Sarah had been there every time Chel broke up with her various boyfriends in high school and the two of them would bitch about what a jerk the guy had been anyway and how Chel could do so much better. And Chel had been Sarah's partner in crime and would back her up every time she was suspected of creating mischief in college. They were known to crash several parties, the two of them and now, thinking about those simple, carefree days Sarah once again thought about how naive and innocent they had once been.

There was a picture on her dresser of her and Chel, the day they had graduated. Chelsea's red hair was longer then and Sarah's dark hair were curled that morning by Chelsea. Both were wearing goofy grins on their faces, hardly believing that they were able to graduate at all, and were waving their middle fingers at the camera.

She glanced towards the next frame momentarily before tearing her gaze away. It was painful to even look and at his death, she had almost destroyed the picture before Chel had brought her back to her senses.

She fell down on her bed, exhausted and looking at the shelf on the opposite wall of her bed, she saw that her roommate had arranged all her books and novels there neatly, which took her by surprise. Chel wasn't exactly a neat person and living with her often resulted in Sarah cleaning both of the their rooms. Something she'd stop doing since a week and that's when Chel had taken charge. Cleaning, cooking, dealing with people and taking care of her broken friend. And for that, Sarah loved her and owed her so much for everything she had done and was doing.

Shaking her overcoat off of her, she threw it on the floor and pulled up the blanket to her chin. She closed her eyes, hoping she'd be able to get some sleep when the encounter from earlier this morning came back to her. The guy that she had met at the cemetery.

She couldn't argue with the fact that she was genuinely interested in him. She wanted to know who was it that he had lost, that caused him to go through the same pain as hers because it couldn't be anymore clear that they both were hurting. Still are.

She had given him her hankie...

She frowned as she realized that she was never going to see him again so her hankie was pretty much lost and she really liked it too. "Bummer..."

Chel knocked on her door. "I ordered pizza! So don't complain and get your butt out here."

Sarah groaned, grabbing her pillow and stuffing her face into it. Her stomach grumbled just at that exact moment. She groaned again and pulled herself into a sitting position.