06.

06

"I'm back," Chelsea announced loudly as she locked the door behind her. Sarah glanced at her and nodded. "I can see that," she said, before turning back to the television. Chelsea sat down beside her. "You old geezer," she said, punching her lightly on the arm. "Haven't you got anything better to do than wasting your time in front of a screen?"

"Well, Facebook is full of idiots and I don't get Twitter," Sarah replied, shrugging. "So, my options of entertainment are pretty limited."

"Okay, since it's a weekend, how about we go out and have Chinese for dinner?"

Sarah gave her an are-you-serious look. "Why do you want to go out in the cold when we can simply order Chinese?"

"Oh, you fatso. Get off your lazy butt, we're going out," she said firmly as she jumped up from the sofa and walked towards the coat rack near the front door. She waved Sarah's black overcoat impatiently. "C'mon!"

With a scowl, she turned off the television and got up. She snatched the coat from Chelsea's hands and muttered. "You're buying."

Chelsea simply rolled her eyes. "Cheapskate."

It was just like Sarah had expected it to be outside. Cold. No matter how many times she rubbed her hands together or shoved them into her pockets, the cold never went away and continued to bite at every part of her visible skin. She made a mental note to buy herself a new pair of gloves. The weather didn't seem to bother Chelsea much as she told Sarah about her day at work. She continued to jabber away about someone called Casey and how he was so much of an accident-prone, it was amusing.

Inside the Chinese restaurant, it was warm much to Sarah's delight and the two of them took their seats. As they waited to order, Sarah took in the atmosphere. The restaurant was packed with people, mostly couples and she wondered why people didn't have anything better to do. Then again, she too had nothing better to do than to spend her evenings either smoking or sitting in front of a screen.

A warm hand touched hers and Sarah jerked a little at the sudden touch. She looked up to find a pair of concerned blue eyes watching her. "Are you alright, Sarah?"

She blinked before answering. "Yeah...yeah, why'd you ask?"

Chelsea leaned back in her seat, a faint smile on her lips. "That's not the first time you've zoned out on me."

Sarah looked away, a bit ashamed that she hadn't been paying attention to her best friend. It's been weeks now and she's not once thought about Chel's feelings, too busy dealing with her own. "I'm sorry," she apologized genuinely, glancing at her.

Chelsea's shrugged, her smile still visible but her eyes serious. "It's okay. I'm here, you know."

Sarah gave her a smile as well. "Yeah, I'm not getting rid of you anytime soon."

She instantly beamed. "You betcha!"

----

"Just one round, please!"

Sarah groaned in frustration and came to a stop. She turned around to face a puppy-eyed Chel who was holding up two pairs of skates. "No," she said again, curtly.

"But you love ice-skating!"

"I don't."

Chel stamped her foot in annoyance. "Come on. One round won't hurt. And besides, I've spent like fifteen dollars on these shoes," she said, shaking them in front of Sarah's face. "We need to use them."

Sarah folded her arms. "Return them and get your money back. Simple."

"No refunds," Chel told her and with that, she walked to a nearby bench and sat down. Sarah shook her head at her behavior and glanced at the laughing people on the ice. Just as Sarah approached Chelsea, she started to remove her shoes, ignoring Sarah. "You're a stubborn bitch, you know that?"

Chel simply nodded as she put the skates on. "Sure."

"And you're incredibly annoying."

"Sure."

"Not to mention, quite bossy."

"Sure."

Sarah noticed that she was having trouble with putting on the second skate and bent down, sighing. "Move," she said, pushing her hands away and started to put her shoe on for her. When she was done, she took her seat next to Chelsea and wordlessly, put her skates on. From the corner of her eye, she saw Chelsea trying to hide a smile.

Sarah got up from the bench and offered her a hand. Chelsea's legs wobbled a little underneath her and she clung onto Sarah's shoulders as they walked towards the ice. "I'll probably be a bit rusty," she told her friend, eyeing her feet nervously. Sarah smirked, with a mischievous gleam in her eyes. "It was your idea in the first place and I intend to make you feel sorry for suggesting it."

"Ha-ha," she chuckled as her grip on Sarah's shoulders tightened. They had reached the ice and both of them stepped on it together. Chelsea slowly let go and managed to keep her ground but she still stayed close to Sarah, whose feet were firm unlike hers. Sarah had missed the feeling of being on slippery ice and she smiled a little. One of the benefits of snow was that you could skate and she had enjoyed that very much. Of course, Steve was the one who had taught her how to skate in the first place.

As soon as he crossed her mind, her smile faltered and her chest felt heavy. He loved the snow. There was a time when this weather was something Sarah looked forward to as well but now she hated it. For it was in the pure whiteness of the snow that she had seen red. Death.

And she had seen black. Loss.

And now, she was seeing grey. Emptiness.

The snow was just an illusion.

"Whoa!"

Chelsea grabbed onto her elbow for support as she lost her balance and Sarah was jerked out of her thoughts. She spread her legs out instinctively and managed to keep herself and Chelsea from falling. Chel gave her a sheepish smile as Sarah glared at her. "Sorry."

"Collin, you're such a pussy!"

"Yeah, get the fuck back up!"

Sarah glanced over to where the voices were coming from and saw three guys, not very far away from them. One of them was on the ground, his legs spread out in front of him. And the two other guys were standing over him, persuading him to get up.

Sarah recognized Joey as one of the guys who was standing and he threw his head back laughing. There was so much warmth and joy in the way he smiled and the way his green eyes twinkled, that Sarah found herself smiling as well.

Chapter 06 to be continued...

****

Author's Note: Hi, hope you humans enjoyed that chapter. Leave a comment below on what you think about the story so far. Any favorite characters yet? :3 Also, don't forget to vote, thank you all so much for reading.

****