03.

03

Sarah put a cigarette in her mouth and raised the green lighter to it's tip, ignoring Chelsea's disapproving glare.

"That's your second pack in two days," Chelsea stated, her voice cold. But Sarah didn't look away from the television screen as she lit it anyway. She was in a bad mood. True, she had been miserable and cranky for the past few days but today, Sarah was on her last nerve. She hadn't gone to visit Steve for two days now and had instead locked herself in her room until her roommate bailed her out with food. Since food was a necessity to stay alive, she gave in to her rumbling stomach.

The reason she hadn't visited him again was because the pain was even more greater than before. Every time, she stood over his grave, it was like a slash to her heart, ripping her intestines out and she felt as if she were left to slowly bleed to death. Wasn't it supposed to get better and easier as time goes by? Then why wasn't it, Sarah wondered to herself.

And on top of that, Chelsea had started to bug her even more. Apparently, since it was a Sunday night, which meant that Sarah had to start work tomorrow early in the morning, Chelsea thought that Sarah shouldn't be smoking.

"It's not working, Chel," she murmured, the lit cigarette dangling from her mouth. "Your glaring doesn't bother me anymore."

Chelsea's eyes narrowed. "Oh, yeah? Then why are you fidgeting?"

"Am not," she replied hotly, as she reached for the remote and changed the channel. That was enough Friends for one day.

"Whatever. I know you already know this but I'll say it again."

Sarah rolled her eyes. Another lecture?

"All this smoking or drinking isn't helping you in anyway at all," she started and Sarah gritted her teeth, biting the end of the cigarette in her mouth. "Don't you see? It's only destroying you."

"Well, excuse me for getting depressed over the death of my fiancé," she hissed through her teeth, her voice dangerously low.

That shut Chelsea up and she lowered her eyes to the ground, feeling a bit guilty for provoking her friend into saying something like that. No matter how mad, how sad, how angry Sarah had been through Steve's death, she had never said anything like this before and her roommate wondered what else had Sarah got bottled up inside of her. They had basically grown up together, as close as sisters could be, but now Sarah seemed distant from her and Chelsea wanted desperately to get her back at all costs.

Sarah stood up from the sofa and went into her room, without another word as she slammed the door shut. She locked it.

Just like she had locked the world out from her heart.

----

Collin slapped Joey on the back as soon as he laid eyes on him. "It's been forever, man!" He exclaimed, as he started to punch him playfully on the arm. Joey chuckled. "No kidding."

Joey did feel a little happy seeing all the familiar faces of his friends and classmates again at school that Monday morning but he still had the weight of his mother's departure heavy on his shoulders. Nonetheless, he managed to smile as people greeted him, asking him about his health, trying to inform him of everything he'd missed during his absence.

A few of the teachers nodded his way as well but almost all of his female teachers wore the same expression on their faces. Their pitiful gazes and sad smiles made Joey internally squirm. He hated the way they looked at it.

Joey heard someone give a shrill cry before two skinny arms wrapped around his torso.

"Joey! Babe, how are you?"

Chloe...

He tried to ignore the fact that his ex-girlfriend was pressing herself into his back and had just called him babe and he turned his head, giving her a smile. "Hey, what's up?"

She released him and put her hands on her hips, flicking her long purple bangs out of her face. She stared at him with her dark eyes as her nose piercing glittered lightly.

The teachers weren't exactly fond of it and they were only eager enough to express that. Only Chloe didn't mind what they said.

Joey couldn't really remember why he had started dating her in the first place but maybe it was because of the way her tongue did wonders to him despite of her clingy nature and the whole bad girl/gothic getup. He never was sure which one she was trying to pull off and he knew that she probably didn't have a clue either.

"That's all you have to say?" She said to him, while she continued to chew away on the gum in her mouth. "After so many days of not seeing me, you simply say 'What's up'?"

Joey sighed, as he tried to figure out a way to get out of this situation but luckily his man, Collin came to save him just in time.

He flung his arm around Joey's shoulders. "Sorry, Chloe. We gotta go and...measure our dicks. See ya."

And before she could say anything, they both turned around and walked away swiftly, trying to hold back their laughter as they heard her stuttering from behind.

"Bro, chick's insane," Collin said, smiling once they were sure they had left her behind.

"Tell me about it," Joey said, rolling his eyes.

"So, you didn't really miss anything special," said Collin, holding out three fingers in front of him. "Virginia gained more weight, Ariana and Drew got together again and oh." He snapped his fingers. "We've got ourselves a new English teacher. Dunno anything about her except that it's a her, we'll find out who she is today in first period."

Joey raised an eyebrow. "Drew and Ari are back together?"

Collin nodded solemnly. "Apparently, at one point they're both dancing to Taylor Swift's song, 'We Are Never Getting Back Together' and the next minute, they're together and making out on the couch!"

Joey laughed. This time, it wasn't a forced one at all. "It is a pretty catchy song, though."

Collin did his best imitation of Taylor's voice as he started to sing but his voice came out as really squeaky, sounding like he was going through puberty.

"We are never ever ever ever getting back together."

Joey joined in. "You go talk to your friends, talk to my friends, talk to me..."

----

Joey and Collin both took their seats at the back of the class.

"Man, I bet it's gonna be some old geezer who won't stop talking," Collin said, leaning back in his chair, his brown eyes bored.

Joey didn't say anything but he really hoped it wouldn't be an old woman with a droning voice that could put almost anyone to sleep. He didn't have to wonder for long because at that moment, the door opened and in walked the new English teacher.

Her black hair was tied back in high ponytail and her sharp brown eyes scanned the classroom and it's thirty students. She was wearing a white collared shirt with black jeans and was carrying a folder in one hand.

Joey's eyes widened as he took her in. No, it couldn't be...

The new teacher smiled briefly. "Good morning, class. I'm the new English teacher, Sarah William."

Chapter 03 to be continued...

****

Author's Note: Dun, Dun, Dun! XD If you're enjoying the story so far, please don't forget to vote because it really goes a long way. :3 Also, any sort of feedback, appreciation and constructive criticism is also welcome!

****