04.

04

"Back so soon?" Chelsea's eyebrow quirked up as Sarah shuffled in through the door and Sarah nodded, mumbling. "Um, yeah. Yeah."

She took a few quick steps towards her room but Chelsea's sharp blue eyes didn't miss a thing.

"Whose jacket are you wearing?"

"Shit," Sarah muttered under her breath and scolded herself mentally for not taking off the jacket and tucking it under her shirt or something to avoid Chel's confrontation. "Uh, no one's."

Chelsea frowned. "What?"

"I'm going to bed." Sarah dashed into her room and slammed the door shut just in time to stop Chel from entering it. She heard her groan from the other side as she banged the door.

"Sarah, you're hiding something!"

"I have work in the morning. Let me sleep."

"You can't keep it a secret forever!"

When Sarah heard Chel's retreating footsteps, she sighed and laid down on her bed. Her encounter with Joey kept replaying in her mind and she knew she should've handled the situation more maturely. Instead, she had blushed and stuttered like a freaking sixteen year old in front of her crush.

But Joey wasn't a crush.

Sarah knew that things would probably get out of hand if she didn't put a stop to it now. She shouldn't have accepted his jacket in the first place and more importantly, she shouldn't have been so flustered by him. She shouldn't have allowed him to...sniff her.

Just remembering it, made her cheeks warm up and she covered her face with her hands. No, no, no. She kept chanting in her head. She can't let herself act like this. She's the adult and she was going to start acting like one.

Immediately, she pushed herself up and off of the bed. She removed Joey's jacket and folded it neatly. She placed it on her table and ignored the slight shudder that went through her.

The next morning as Sarah was about to head out, she remembered Joey's jacket and went back to her room to retrieve it. Chelsea was still asleep and as Sarah passed by her closed door, she envied her friend for getting to sleep in. The perks of working for a magazine and having a friendly and easy-going boss.

It was cold when she stepped out and she hurried to hail a cab.

----

Sarah avoided meeting Joey's gaze for the entire English period and concentrated on the board instead. However, every time she spared herself a glance in his direction, his eyes were always on her. She couldn't tell what he was thinking because she didn't look at him for longer than a second.

As the period came to an end, Sarah watched from under her lashes as Joey started to pack his things while taking about something to Collin at the same time. It was just when they walked by her table that Sarah spoke up.

"Joey Harding, please stay back. I need to talk to you."

She busied herself with arranging some papers on her desk as she said that in a neutral voice. Joey stopped short and blinked at her for a couple of times, confused. Collin smiled and asked, "Did you want to talk to me too, Miss?"

She looked up, giving him a tight-lipped smile. This boy was really annoying. "Is your name Joey Harding?"

"No, uh-"

"Then, please go to your next class. I need to speak with Joey only."

Collin's shoulders slumped and he trudged out of the class, having the decency of shutting the door behind him and leaving them alone in the room. Joey who had recovered from his surprise, flashed a smile in Sarah's way.