Eight

I can see it in your eyes, a famous phrase often used to tell someone that you may know their real or true intentions, just through their eyes. Camila hates that phrase, it's not true. There are so many more telling things of someone's true intentions that can be found by their facial or body expressions, so to focus only on their eyes would not give one the full picture. This is Camila's full belief, yet when she thinks back to her encounter with Lauren she has found herself focusing on just one feature too.

As Camila laid in her bed that night all she could think about was the mess that she would have created if this was all wrong. If she truly did make a mistake in bailing Lauren out, if she truly is throwing away her whole career with this case. I must've lost my fucking mind, she says to herself while shaking her head. She took a deep breath then pictured the encounter with Lauren in her head again, only slower, as if replaying a certain scene in a video in slow motion over and over again.

She does this because there was this one expression Lauren had and it is the only thing Camila is holding on to for hope and sanity at this point. It was consist with Camila's earlier observations of Lauren, from the first day she met her; it was those uniquely pressed eyebrows, it was the fear that was indicated by them. That fear that has haunted Camila since the beginning, now to the point where she has had enough of it and has already proven how far she will go to get to the bottom of it.

I can see it in your eyes is a terrible phrase indeed, Camila thought to herself as her own eyes began to close from tiredness, she slightly smiled as she thought, I can see it in your eyebrows is a much better.

--

"Where have you been?" Dinah asked Camila who strolled into the station the rather cheerfully.

Camila furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, "Home?" she replied obliviously. Dinah rolled her eyes at the literal way she took the question, she just sighed and shook her head before placing her face in her hands. Camila took a seat next to Dinah at her desk, "You seem stressed."

"I've been up working all night," Dinah said through her hands, not even bothering to lift her head just yet.

Camila looked at some of the files that were chaotically spread all over Dinah's desk; Camila immediately noticed the similarity in all of the papers, "What were you looking for in Lauren's priors?"

Dinah sighed in frustration as she finally lifted her head up, "Orders from the captain, I'm trying to find out who this Karla person is that bailed her out."

Camila narrowed her eyes at Dinah, "Isn't that a little irrelevant to our case?" One could argue Camila was just trying to save herself in saying this but Camila did truly believe that it was irrelevant to their case. They had so many other bigger things to figure out, some of which were causing holes in their case, that searching for someone that bailed Lauren out just seemed silly to her.

Dinah was about to start an argument with Camila, as she is basically dismissing all of the work that Dinah stayed up doing, but then remembered that she had vowed to work with Camila in her odd angle of working the case. So far, they had been doing everything by the book, that is doing everything the captain ordered, and Dinah felt like she was getting nowhere with that. This proved to her that maybe it was time to take Camila's angle of the case much more seriously. "What do you suggest we do instead?"

Camila was a little taken back by how genuine Dinah was with the question, she smiled a little bit before she replied, "Thanks for asking, Dinah. I think we should look further into Lauren's priors."

"I can't with you sometimes," Dinah said with a slight chuckled and shook her head in disbelief.

"No! For real, I don't mean with these files silly, that would be dumb of me to say," Camila replied with a giggle, "I mean let's actually spend the next couple of days going to Lauren's apartment and her school and interview anyone and everyone."