XXVIII: The Angel of Lucifer

Insomnia--no, the Black Lotus--was gathered inside of Common. Between the eleven of us, we had four boxes of pizza, two bottles of whiskey, a bottle of vodka, a pack of cigarettes and one lighter. We also had only one car--Helena's red Impala. 

I pulled my cigarette from between my lips. It was flavored tobacco, but the only flavors I could taste were pepperoni and vodka. 

"We should stop drinkin'," I said after puffing out a cloud of smoke. "We gotta get back to Safe House safe." 

Jemma drank the rest of my vodka. "M'kay. No more alcohol. No more drinkin'." She took the empty bottles and tossed them into the washing machine we deemed the bottle dump. I stuck my flavored cigarette back into my mouth. It was purple but had a black smudged ring from my lipstick. 

Flynn ate the last two pieces of pizza and stacked the empty boxes by the door.  Simon was slumped on the floor, looking as miserable as ever. 

"Let's head back to Safe House," Alice said. She closed her compact mirror and put her Purple Death lipstick back into her bag. Everything about her outfit tonight was deathed up; Purple Death lipstick, Death Pumps that made her look like a stripper, Death written across her low cut shirt, Deathly skulls decorating her skirt. She was more Death than Sammy. 

"Yes. I'm tired and if I don't get to sleep soon, I'm gonna stab a bitch." I stood up and brushed crumbs off of my flowy witchy black dress. I shot Gabriel a look. "You might be that bitch." He held his hands up in a surrender motion. 

"I ain't a bitch so no stabbing of me, Bandit dear," he said, taking my cigarette and putting it between his lips. I narrowed my dark eyes in a glare but made no move to get my poison back. 

Helena led us outside and we piled into the Impala. Lucy sat shotgun and the remaining six of us crammed into the back. I pulled my knees to my chest and Gabriel stretched out on the floor. Sammy, Flynn, and Simon changed into cats. Sammy sat in my lap, Flynn curled up with Jemma, and Simon sat square on Gabriel's chest, probably just to piss him off. Alice sandwiched herself between Jemma and I. My witchy boys managed to fit on the floor with Gabriel once we yelled at him to sit up.  

Helena took off, skidding in Common's parking lot and leaving tire tracks. I leaned back with my back against the window and petted Sammy's fluffy kitty head. She purred and tucked her head under her chest. I sighed and stared out the window behind Jemma. 

We had been driving for a few minutes when I noticed something unusual. I sat up straighter to get a better look. In the distance was a cross, a bright white glowing one that I had never seen before in my life. It was flickering, but it seemed to be in an SOS pattern, instead of like the orangey-red Sinner's Church cross that was dying and kept flickering as a sinister reminder. 

This one was more sinister than the damned Sinner's Church one. 

"Does any'n se--" I cut myself off. The menacing flickering cross died out and soon the only light was coming from the dim lights on Helena's car. 

It was like I didn't even speak. No one acknowledged me. No one even glanced in my direction. Everyone was just . . . silent. 

And then Lucy screamed. 

"What the hell, Luce?!" Helena exclaimed, shooting Lucy a terrified look. 

"Turn left," she said in a voice that wasn't hers. I recognized the voice but couldn't place it. 

"Left? Lucy, Safe House is straight. We don't turn left anywhere!" Helena glanced back at us, desperate. I had blocked Helena out and was focusing on where I had heard Not Lucy's voice.