Chapter 1: Super Pranksters

Chapter 1
Mel's POV
I wake up on the second to last day of summer covered in syrup.
"MOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!" I sit up as I yell. Immediately, several tubs of sour milk pour over me from their hovering position over my bed. My idiotic brothers, you see, thought it would be funny. They used their superpowers to pull this lovely prank.

My mom walks in, with Zeke in one hand and Uriah in the other. Our amazing mother has super strength.

"Hmm, boys you will be your sister's personal slaves from now until the end of the first week of school. Anything she asks you to do, you must do, except kill yourselves, others, or cause permanent damage." I thank her, then order my grumbling brothers to get me some towels and start a bath. When the bath is drawn, I tell Uri to clean my bed. He uses his telekinesis to lift all of the gunk off and into a bucket, which he empties into the sink.

I then get ready to enjoy my bath. I walk into the bathroom, wearing my bathrobe. As soon as I shut the door, the entire room fills with steam. At first I am surprised, but then I feel how hot it is. The steam burns me I scream, as another blast engulfs my body. I feel like I am being boiled alive. The room fades as I writhe in agony.

Uriah's POV

We might be Mel's slaves, but we couldn't resist the chance for one more prank. The last one of the summer. Zeke used his water powers to make steam, so sister dearest's bath would disappear. We wait as she goes in, then Zeke starts. We hear her scream, but just figure that it is from surprise or rage, so Zeke continues. When we sense that it's been enough, he stops. We wait for her to come out all angry, but she doesn't. Maybe she is going to scare us. You see, our sister doesn't have superpowers. She is what we call, a Normie. She has to resort to old school tricks. After about five minutes, Zeke knocks on the door.

"Mel, we're sorry, please come out." He knocks again. "We're coming in. In 3...2...1!" He thrusts open the door and we both scream. Mel is lying there, burns everywhere. She isn't moving. Oh no. What have we done?

Hanna(supermom)'s POV

The boys should have known better than to mess with Mel. Compared to them, she is really delicate, and she really can't defend herself from their powers. I can't bring myself to scold them, though. They are harder on themselves then I could ever be. Uri hasn't stopped crying and Ezekiel is just staring at the wall.

"Mrs. Pedrad?" A doctor comes out. We all follow him to a private room in silence. When we get there, we see Mel on a flat white bed. "I am sorry, Mrs. Pedrad, but Melanie passed away. Her burns were too severe." I break down into sobs, so do the boys. We all stand around her body and just cry. The pain I feel is out of control. I can't even explain it.

Mel's POV

As I slowly woke up, I couldn't help but notice that everyone was crying.
"What's wrong?" Everyone looks at me with disbelieving eyes.

"Mel?" Uri's voice is hollow. "But how? You were dead." My mom calls for a doctor. He comes in and stares disbelievingly. He checks my vitals and examines my skin.

"She doesn't even show signs of burns!" The doctor was flummoxed, but this only meant one thing to me. I finally got my powers!

TIME SKIP FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
Mel's POV
"You are going to love everybody." Uriah assures me. I am transferring to Divergent High, Zeke and Uri's school for people with powers. I feel so good. So far, I have discovered three powers, more than Zeke or Uriah! They are healing, water, and teleportation. I personally want more, but it is unlikely. Most people only have 2. Three is already really rare. Four is the highest number.

I dress carefully, ready for anything, in black jeans, a red tank, combat boots, and a leather jacket. I look pretty good, well I think I do. I leave my hair down, but bring a hair tie, just in case.

When I get my schedule, it says:

1. Homeroom/Basic Control- T. Wu

2. Specialized training- A. Rahvun

3. Math/Science- J. Mathews

4. History/English- J. Wells

5. Power Free Time

6. Art/Music- T. Wu

I immediately go to my locker, and get the things that I need. There are signs everywhere that say no using your powers in the hallway. When I get to class, Ms. Wu is standing at the front. Everyone is sitting in a 3/4 circle in front of her. I sit next to Uri. Zeke is in our same homeroom, even though he is a year older.

"Hi everyone my name is Ms. Wu, but call me Tori. Since today is the first day, we will be going around the circle demonstrating our powers and introducing ourselves. Zeke, start."

"I'm Zeke. I have water and invisibility."

"I'm Shauna. I have flight and conjuring."

"I'm Marlene. I have nature and teleportation."

"I'm Lynn. I have strength and healing."

"I'm Tris. I have telekinesis, teleportation, and strength."

"I'm Christina, I have speed and conjuring."

"I'm Will, and I have super smarts, strength, and a natural eidetic memory."

"I'm Four. I have strength, speed, healing, and mind reading." Cool. The legendary Four.

"I'm Uri. I have telekinesis and speed."

"I'm Melanie. I have healing, water, and teleportation." Tori asked me a bit about myself and I told them about I had only found out my powers two days ago.

"Okay, everyone, let's practice basic control. Everyone try to carefully use one of your powers." Everyone immediately started messing around. I tried to make a small water droplet, but it wouldn't come out. I pushed harder. Then, suddenly, a giant column of fire exploded from my hand. It left a sizzling hole through the roof. Everyone was staring at me.

"That wasn't one of the powers you mentioned, was it?" Tori looked concerned.

"No, I was just trying to make a water ball."

"Looks like Four's got competition." Zeke laughed. I just stared at him. Then suddenly. Everyone just stopped. They froze in place. I walked around trying to get them to move. Was this my power? What would you even call this. I didn't know how to stop it, so I just sat down and waited. After about ten minutes, everyone started again. They didn't even notice.

"What just happened?" I look around.

"What do you mean" asks Tori.

"You were all frozen."

"Let me se your watch." I give it to her and she compares it to her own. Suddenly, her face pales.

"What's wrong?"

"You stopped time." She says loud enough for everyone to hear. Everyone stops. "Fire is rare. Category 4, but Time is impossible. Category 5. Not to mention you have 5 powers." She looks amazed.

"Wow. Here, let me see my watch." I hold out my hand, and the watch floats from her hand to mine.

"Wait! Did anyone else see that?" Shauna points at the hovering watch. Everyone nods.

"Wow, you have 6 powers." Four sounds a little jealous. I mean, I took his place as most powerful. I now officially have 6 powers: Healing, Water, Teleporting, Fire, Time, and Telekinesis(her telekinesis is like Wanda Maximoff's from the avengers. Look it up if you are confused. It is hard to explain, but cool.)