Chapter 4

I took a deep breath as I lay in my canopy bed that night, my hands resting on my stomach. Maybe this wouldn't be as bad as I had thought it would. Maybe Joffrey had forgotten about the whole incident. I sighed as I turned over, sliding one of my hands underneath my cool pillow. Maybe I was losing my mind, I thought to myself wryly. My fingers moved over the smooth surface of the sheets.

I hoped what I had done today wouldn't jeopardize our stay here. I liked everything about this place: the culture, the people, the food, the music, and...that man. Restlessly, I flipped over onto my back. I still hadn't found out who he was and I knew nothing about him. And yet...just thinking about him: his piercing green gaze that could see into your soul, his perfect tousled blond hair, and the way he walked...

I shook the thoughts away. I didn't even know his name. I couldn't have these thoughts, these feelings for man I didn't even know. Furthermore, he looked to be close to my father's age at that. Father would never allow that match, no matter how much I pleaded with him. He didn't want any of his children to marry someone so advanced in years. As the thoughts of this mysterious man consumed me, the light breeze from the balcony lulled me to sleep.

When I awoke the next morning, it was dawn. Daylight flooded in through the windows and I smiled at the sight. Sitting up in my bed, I set my bare feet on the cool stone floor. Suddenly, the previous day's events flooded into my mind and a lump formed in my throat. I suppose today I would find out if Joffrey had told the King what I'd done. A knock on the wooden door jogged me from my thoughts and my head snapped to the direction of the sound.

Quickly wrapping a robe around myself, I tread towards the door and hesitantly opened it. Standing before me was the man I had been waiting to see again. He looked so handsome in his suit of armor, his sword hanging at his side in its sheath. His shaggy blond hair was swept to the side and his emerald eyes bored into mine. He coughed just then and with a blush, I realized I'd been staring at him.

"My lady, Her Highness requests a word with you in her chambers," he said, his voice softer than I'd expected, like his tongue was made of velvet.

Briefly, I wondered if it felt like velvet as well. I shook the thought away and smiled up at him before curtsying.

"Thank you...?" I ventured, holding my hand out to him like I'd been taught by my governess as I looked up into his piercing green orbs.

A slight smirk found its way onto his face before he spoke.

"Ser Jaime Lannister, my lady," he said gently, taking my hand in his.

Leaning down, he placed a feather-light kiss on my hand and with a slight shudder, I realized his lips were just as soft, if not softer, than I'd imagined them to be as they brushed against my skin.

"Do you know the way to the Queen's rooms, Lady...?" he spoke again, standing tall once more.

"Joan," I licked my lips, "And no, I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with the layout of the palace yet."

He smirked yet again and butterflies erupted in my stomach.

"Then it would be my pleasure to escort you, Lady Joan," he said and I smiled at him once more before closing the door behind me.