Chapter 27

I nodded back to him in thanks, my heart pounding in my chest as I tried to memorize his face. Every single feature - his deep emerald eyes, aquiline nose, full lips, shaggy blond hair, even the small scar on his forehead. I never wanted to forget him. He walked over to me then and my breath caught in my throat. He was so close, I could feel his warm breath on my skin.

Ever so slowly, he reached up his long slender fingers and brushed a piece of dark hair from my face. I exhaled shakily and gazed up into eyes the color of the forest in summer, losing myself in their depths. His thumb gently slid across my cheek and down to my lips. His eyes lingered on my mouth then before glancing back up at me. Before I knew what was happening, Jaime's soft lips connected to mine. In that moment, I didn't even think.

I couldn't. The only thought flitting through my mind was this was the very last time I would kiss Jaime Lannister, hold Jaime Lannister, be cared for by Jaime Lannister. I kissed him back with all the passion I had in me, my lips moving in sync with his. His lips were soft and smooth, gliding across mine with ease. My hands tangled themselves in his blond downy hair and his own held hand onto my waist. His fingers held on tightly to the material of my dress - as if he was scared to let go.

As if I would disappear. It felt like eternity in that one moment. And I hated to part from him. Just as the thought came to me, it happened. Jaime broke away from me and pressed his forehead to mine, strands of his hair tickling my skin. I gazed up at him and I couldn't stop the words - those sweet words that I'd tucked away inside my heart - from spilling out of my mouth.

"I'm in love with you, Jaime..." I breathed out.

His beautiful green eyes widened slightly, almost making me question telling him. But then, he began to smile and pulled me into him gently, my body flush against his chest. He slid his hand from around my waist and cupped my face, the warm skin of his fingers caressing my cheek.

"My dearest Joan...I...I'm in love with you, too..." he admitted to me, his voice soft and gentle in the darkness of the cell.

I let go of a breath I didn't know I'd been holding and my heart swelled with happiness. He-he...Jaime...loves me?! He loves me?!

"Really?" I asked in a whisper.

He smiled, nodding and I could see the sparkle in his deep emerald orbs.

"Really..." he repeated softly.

A smile broke out on my face and I felt my heart soar in my chest. But almost as soon as it did, my smile faltered.

"But...you're still-" I started.

"-leaving..." he confirmed, finishing for me.

His expression was one of sadness now and in the same second that my heart had felt whole, it now felt shattered. Like someone had stepped on it with their boot, squeezing the happiness and love right out of me.

"No...Jaime, no!" I said frantically, taking his face in my hands, "You can't go! You can't...you can't leave me..."

Jaime sighed and briefly squeezed his eyes shut. I felt tears brimming in my brown eyes then, threatening to spill out onto my cheeks as my heart broke even more. When he opened them again, I saw tears forming in his as well.

"Please don't leave me..." I begged in a whisper, wrapping my arms around his muscular frame.

He immediately wrapped his own around me and placed kisses in my hair as I began to cry into his chest, my face buried in the rough material of his shirt.

"Shhh...." he shushed me then sighed, "My precious Joan..."

Sobs wracked my body as he held me. This is the last time I was going to see him... The warmth of being held in Jaime's arms didn't last long enough though as he pulled away from me.

"I have to go now, Joan...I'm so sorry..." he told me, his voice gentle.

I looked up at him and saw he had been crying too. Slowly, I nodded.

"Goodbye, Ser Jaime..." I breathed out softly.

He swallowed and I saw the pain reflected in his eyes.

"Goodbye, Lady Joan..." he said.

He turned to leave then and with every step he took, I felt a piece of my heart break off. When the door slammed shut, I fell to my knees and let it all out once more. Sobs wracked my body and it felt like I couldn't breathe. Jaime was gone...and he wasn't coming back.

Note: I had literal tears in my eyes while writing this... :"(