Chapter 5

The dark red cape brushed the stone floor behind him as he walked. Jaime Lannister, the Kingslayer, I thought to myself. So this was the man who I couldn't stop thinking about. As I followed behind him, I tried to rack my brain and remember everything I'd heard of him before. He was the Queen's twin brother, from what I recalled and he had killed King Aerys, making him the infamous Kingslayer. But were the stories true?

His infamy and all of the terrible things people said about him? I admit...he wasn't what I was expecting him to be. When he turned a corner up ahead, I walked faster keep up with him. As soon as I rounded the corner though, I slammed into him. I felt myself falling and I closed my eyes, bracing for the impact but it never came.

Opening my eyes, the first thing I noticed was his concerned emerald green ones looking down at me. His hands were resting securely on my waist, keeping me from hitting the floor. I blushed scarlet at our closeness. He smirked before letting go of me.

"Careful, my lady. You don't want to slip and fall." he said softly.

I just nodded in response and looked down at my feet, trying to hide the rosy tint on my cheeks. I hoped he hadn't noticed. A sudden knock on a door made my head snap up then. We stood in front of a tall wooden door on which Ser Jaime had just rapped his knuckles on. A few moments passed before the door slowly opened, revealing who I assumed to be one of the Queen's handmaidens. She curtsied when she saw Jaime and eyed me curiously.

Facing me then, he tilted his head once before walking back the way we'd come. My eyes followed him down the corridor until he was out of sight. When I turned back around, the handmaiden ushered me in and I entered the Queen's chambers. It was a large room, colored much like my own but more tasteful. You could tell just by looking that someone of high birth stayed in this room. Flowers in pots were arranged around a prodigious balcony with ecru-colored linen drapes.

Someone cleared their throat from behind me and I twirled back around. The room had entranced me so, I had quite forgotten my reason of being there. A woman sat in a chair at a long table in the middle of the room. She wore a long red dress with gold embroidery at the sleeves and waist. Her hair was blonde and wavy and around her neck was a large golden pendant with a lion engraved on the front. In her hand, she held a glass of wine. Her piercing green-eyed gaze watched me as I walked over and curtsied before her. 

"Lady Joan, little dove, sit please," she said, gesturing to a chair beside her, "We need to talk."

The look in her eyes was fierce - like a lioness and to be truthful, it scared me. Time to discover what the prince had told her.

Note:  Sorry this is so short, guys! The next will be longer though! :) Also there will be more Jaime scenes coming up - I just had to set up everything for it first :)