Chapter: 9-10

Chapter 9

Kimberley heard the front door open and turned around to see who was coming inside the hall.  She heard the door close and her heart skipped a beat as she heard the sound of high heels on the tiles in the hall and she stood, frozen to the spot in the kitchen, silently praying Cheryl would walk through the door and smile back at her.

Nicola appeared in the doorway to the kitchen.  She saw Kimberley standing there and immediately realised who Kimberley had hoped to see.  She shook her head, “I’m on my own, babe.”

“Did you tell her?  Did you tell her everything I told you to say – how sorry I am, how I need to speak to her?”  Kimberley peeled off the rubber gloves she’d been wearing to wash up and placed them over the edge of the sink, all the time looking at Nicola.

Nicola sat down at the table.  “Well, yeah, I did tell her that…” her voice trailed off.

“And?”  Kimberley sat down opposite Nicola.

“She said she can’t see you right now”.  Nicola leaned over and put a hand over Kimberley’s.  “I’m sorry, I tried, but she’s in a terrible state – I didn’t wanna push things”.

Kimberley frowned and Nicola realised she had probably worried her more.  “I mean, she’s tired, she’s not sleeping well, and travelling to the studios from Sarah’s everyday – it’s a longer journey isn’t it?” 

Kimberley sighed and looked away from Nicola.  “I need to see her.  How can I explain if she won’t talk to me?  I need to see her Nic, you’ve got to help me.”  Kimberley looked at Nicola again, her eyes pleading with Nicola to help.

“Kimberley I don’t know what to do.  I want you both to sort it, I really do, but she doesn’t want to see you right now.  What can I do?”  Nicola squeezed Kimberley’s hand as she saw tears welling in her eyes.

Kimberley shook her head.  “I don’t know, Nic, I wish I did.  She has to see me, she just has to.  I need to speak with her.”

“What are you gonna say, Kimberley?  Cause I’m not gonna take sides over this – I love you both, but she’s in a right state and I don’t see how you can make it better.  You kissed him, how the hell are you gonna make her see that that’s ok?”  

A tear rolled down Kimberley’s cheek and she stood up, walking over to the sink.  “I started to tell her about how I’ve been feeling, she was so sweet about it, about everything.  There was nothing she wouldn’t do to make things better – she said we could sort anything together.  We’ll make this better, I know we will”.

Nicola frowned.  “Kimba, I hate to say this, cause I know you’re hurting too.  But don’t you think you need to be the one making this better?”

Kimberley looked at Nicola and brought her arms around her own waist as if trying to provide some much needed comfort to herself.  “I love her so much.  I can’t even begin to tell you how much.  The thought that she might hate me right now, never talk to me again, it’s destroying me, Nic.  I can’t sleep, I can’t eat, I’m scared, scared that I won’t be able to fix it, scared that she’ll never love me again like I love her…”

Nicola’s expression changed and she stood up, making her way over to Kimberley.  She wrapped her arms around her as the older girls sobs took over and she couldn’t carry on.  “Then you have to fix it, babe.  Find a way, because right now, she won’t listen.”

Kimberley pulled away from Nicola, wiping her own tears away with the back of her hand.  “Are you going to the show tomorrow?”

Nicola nodded, “yeah, I said I’d go.  Sarah said she’s gonna come round here and make sure you’re ok though.”