Chapter: 13-14

Chapter 13

Cheryl looked at herself in the mirror of the lift and quickly fished in her bag for her lipgloss.  She moved closer to the mirror and applied some to her lips then took her keys out of her bag.

She smoothed down her dress as the lift doors opened and took a deep breath, walking out and in the direction of Kimberley’s door.  

She lifted a hand to put the key in the door and stopped as she saw her hand tremble.  She took a deep breath and leaned against the door.  She put a hand to her hair, pushed some stray hairs off her face and pressed the door bell.

------------------

Kimberley was upstairs applying lipgloss as she heard the door bell.  She glanced at the clock on the wall.  Surely that wasn’t Cheryl – she still had 10 minutes, and Cheryl had a key.  

Kimberley quickly smoothed her dress down and looked at herself in the mirror of her bedroom.  She grabbed her perfume bottle and sprayed some then ran out of the door and down the stairs.

She looked through the spy hole and saw that Cheryl was indeed 10 minutes early.  Kimberley quickly opened the door and smiled shyly at the other girl standing there.

“You’re early” she observed.

Cheryl shrugged her shoulders and pouted, and Kimberley felt her heart jump a little at the sight.  “I thought I’d make an impression”, Cheryl replied.

Kimberley laughed, “I think we both know it’s me who should be trying to make an impression” and she opened the door wider for Cheryl to go in.  “Did you forget your key?”

Cheryl held up the key she had almost used to let herself in, and smiled shyly.  “It felt a bit weird - just letting myself in”.

Kimberley sighed and smiled sadly.  “You look lovely” she observed, gesturing at Cheryl’s dress.

“This old thing?” laughed Cheryl.  “Nah, first thing I pulled out the wardrobe.  You, on the other hand, look like you made the effort – you look amazing”.

Kimberley blushed at the compliment and took a step forward, leaning in and kissing Cheryl on the cheek, closing her eyes.  Cheryl instinctively put her hands on Kimberley’s waist, and Kimberley stayed where she was, resting her cheek on Cheryl’s.

Cheryl took a deep breath and closed her eyes, breathing in the familiar scent of Kimberley’s perfume.  She felt Kimberley’s hand on the back of her neck and pulled away slightly.

“Babe, you’re trembling” she said, concerned, looking into Kimberley’s eyes.

Kimberley smiled.  “I’ve been like this all morning – like a nervous wreck”.

“Well, you should know by now that I don’t bite” joked Cheryl, putting a hand on Kimberley’s arm.  Kimberley laughed and Cheryl smiled.  “I’ve missed you”.

Tears filled Kimberley’s eyes.  “Oh Cheryl, I’ve missed you too, so much”.

This time Cheryl moved in and wrapped her arms around Kimberley’s neck, holding her tight.  A tear rolled down Kimberley’s cheek as she put her arms around Cheryl’s waist and pulled her in as close as she could.

“I am so sorry”.  

“Shhhhh,” whispered Cheryl.  “Don’t cry, babe.  You know I can’t bear it”.

“But Cheryl, I am, I can’t believe how stupid I’ve been, it’s like it wasn’t me.  Please let me explain”, Kimberley pulled away and took hold of Cheryl by the arms.