Welcome To The Family (Short Story II)

Nesta hated living in the House of Wind.

Which was not surprising considering the fact that Nesta hated most things. Yet she hated living in the House of Wind the most. She hated it because it was way too crowded, because every time she wanted a moment of silence someone would barge in and disturb her, because little Lucien would show up and stalk her sister, because Mor was following Nesta around determined to find out what drove Nesta to leave Cassian two days before he left for war and she mostly hated being in the House of Wind because she had nothing else to do than think about the Illyrian warrior or the fact that she now carried his child.

Mother, she was going to be a mother. That thought was constantly flashing through Nesta's mind these days, and it terrified her. It terrified her so much so that Nesta found herself pacing the corridors of the House of Wind.

As she was doing right now. Nesta strode down the corridor and out onto the balcony, not being able to contain her scoff at the sight before her. 

"What are you two doing?" Nesta demanded of her two sisters. Feyre and Elain looked uninterested and unmoved by Nesta's irritation.

"I am reading," Feyre mumbled not tearing her eyes from the page of the book she was holding. Feyre's tattooed hand gestured to Elain who was staring at Nesta with wide eyes. "And Elain is drinking tea." 

Nesta clenched her jaw and swallowed. Twice. She then crossed her arms over her chest and turned to look at the High Lady of the Night Court. 

"Yes," Nesta hissed at her youngest sister, "I am not blind, I can see that. But I was only wondering what are you two doing here while there is a war going on."

"Nesta," Elain started, she put down the teacup and laced her long fae fingers together in her lap. Elain who had been living with Nesta far longer than Feyre was aware of her sister's foul mood, Elain always knew the right way to handle Nesta's mood it seemed. "Me and Feyre are going to one of the Illyrian war camps tomorrow, we would have asked you to come-"

"When?" Nesta interrupted her sister. Immediate regret clawed at her, just because she was having a shitty few days does not mean Elain deserved this. But what was done was done, there was no turning back now.

"It was mine and Rhys' decision not to take you with us, Nesta." Feyre settled her book aside so that she could focus on her. "Elain has nothing to do with this." she said.

"And what am I to do, then?" Nesta demanded of the High Lady.

"You are to stay here and help me guard Velaris." Morrigan said. Nesta hadn't heard her approach and was irritated by the fact that she did. 

Mor leaned against the opening of the balcony. Her blonde hair in waves around her shoulder, she wore red which made the blonde in her hair stand out more. 

Nesta raised her chin high before meeting the female's eyes. She knew because of Feyre, who was a busybody, what had happened between the fae and Cassian. She was aware of the history between them, although Cassian never told her anything about Mor or how he now felt about the role he played between her and Azriel. It was all very complicated, Nesta was sure.

But as she looked at Mor, how beautiful she was, how strong. She could see why Cassian would be attracted to her. Nesta didn't want to say she was jealous of Mor, which she wasn't... but the thought of Cassian still feeling something for her made Nesta feel - 

"Why aren't I coming with you?" Nesta turned once again to Feyre who now looked annoyed with her many questions and difficult behaviour. "I do not know anything about guarding a city. And who is to protect Elain while you are running about playing High Lady?"