03

Neville spent the next few hours until dinner unpacking and getting settled back into his dorm room , promising to meet Ginny and Luna in the Great Hall afterwards. He made small talk with Harry and Seamus  as he did so , each of them sharing what they did over the summer. When it came time for him to share though , he made up a story of how he went to go visit his uncle , Harfang , and spent the entire vacation with him. Neville didn't like to lie , but spending his entire vacation at Mungo's and the rest of his time sleeping , it was beginning to dawn on him that spending two months in a hospital doting on his amnesiac parents wasn't nearly as exciting as what the two boys had gotten themselves into.  Thankfully , they didn't question him and he continued to unpack without further incident until it was time for him to head down to the Great Hall for dinner. 

It was a welcome relief to say the least as he walked through the common room and began to make his way down the stairs. While Neville was glad to be reunited with his friends , he couldn't help but feel a bit sad at having to leave his parents for the school year. He knows it's what they would have wanted for him , but every year it seemed to linger a bit longer. If he was being honest , the reality of the situation with his parents was finally sinking in.  For years the doctors told him that recovery was impossible and finally it was getting to him. Maybe his parents really wouldn't remember him ever again , which was why he would have rather attended a muggle school. Even if he never got to use magic again he would take it if it meant visiting his parents and helping them in any he could before they were too far gone. 

But he knew this was what they would have wanted for him , to attend Hogwarts like they had in their youth , so he would do so even if he wasn't too happy about saying goodbye to them again. 

As he walked into the Great Hall , brown eyes searched the room briefly before he spotted who he was looking for a little ways down the Gryffindor table. Neville strode over to them , taking the empty seat next to Luna. 

"Hey, sorry I'm late I got a bit carried away with unpacking. Did you guys get settled in well?" The girls don't have time to reply before Professor Dumbledore's voice booms through the hall , the students around them reduced to nothing more than a hush when it had been a loud roar moments before. 

" I beg a few moments of your attention , as I have a few start of term announcements - " There was a collective groan among the students. It had been a long day of traveling and they wanted nothing more than to tuck into their food already. If the wizard was even the slightest bit affected by this he didn't show it as he continued. " Right off, our caretaker , the good Mr.Filch, has reminded me for what he says is the four-hundred and sixty-second time that he had an annually updated list of various banned items, usually introduced by our humor experts Fred and George Weasley..." The Gryffindor table erupted into a series of cheering and yelling as the twins stood to take a bow. "...which are posted in an extensive list on the door to Mr.Flich's office. Also, we have two staffing changes this year. Professor Grubby-Plank will be taking the post of Care of Magical Creatures as Professor Hagrid is on...extended leave." Neville furrowed his brows , sharing a look with Ginny and Luna. What could Hagrid have done to receive an extended leave? From the few interactions he had had with the professor , it seemed out of character for him --- especially with everything Harry and Ron had told him. He reminded himself to ask the two of them about that later. If nothing came up , he could always ask Luna about any theories she might have. Even if her theories ended up not being true , they were always interesting to listen to. "Additionally , we have Professor Umbridge , who has kindly agreed to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts-"

It is at this moment that a lady in a pink cardigan and matching skirt , clears her throat to introduce herself. Her hair resembles that of an ungroomed poodle and she carries herself with pompous attitude. 

"Headmaster , if I could address the school?"

Dumbledore's taken aback. Never had one interrupted his speech in order to do such a thing , but nevertheless he sits down and invites Umbridge forward. Neville doesn't like her already. 

"Thank you, Headmaster. Now, how are we all doing tonight? I thought I would just say a few words. I am here at the Ministry of Magic's bequest, under Educational Decree twenty-two, which states that if the Headmaster of Hogwarts is unable to fill any teaching post the Ministry shall select one for the position. "

Murmurs fill the hall. 

"The Ministry has always considered the magical education of our children to be of vital importance , and the passing down of this ancient and noble art must be given to the next generation, lest it be lost forever..."

"Without progress, stagnation. But progress for progress's sake is to be discouraged, for our art requires no tinkering. "

"A balance must be attained, the new and the old, permanence and change , tradition and innovation , order and chaos."

"There are large changes coming soon, changes walking the fine line between order and chaos. Know only that these changes are for the best, and to prevent the destruction of our civilization from its own decay." Upon her pink painted lips , she forces a smile to the students but they all stare blankly at her before turning back to their food. 

Ginny shakes her head slightly after the speech as she picks up her fork , beginning to dig into her roast chicken. "That was intense."

"You could say that twice," Neville muttered under his breath as he reached across the table to grab a piece of bread. 

"That was intense." She repeated with the same seriousness she had before and the three of them broke out into pure , wholesome laughter.