Five: Actually Meeting Zoey Graves

"It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important."

― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I wanted so badly for me and Justice to work. I wanted her to continue being my girlfriend and everything, but in order for me to get to tomorrow, I was going to have to change up the routine once more. And this time, it was actually having to meet Zoey this morning, and making an attempt to talk to her.

No, I couldn't let Justice see me with her, she would only ruin what I was trying to accomplish with Zoey.

Blacking out a bit sooner than I thought yesterday, absolutely bothered me. I knew to expect the blacking out and everything, but not as soon as I thought. Before I could even walk inside my own house, I had parked in the drive way and I immediately blacked out.

Before I even saw it coming.

I didn't even think my brother had gotten a chance to see his older brother passed out on the pavement of the driveway. He'd been out the car, texting a friend.

I'd blacked out around 5:00pm, that was way too soon. It had been my fault, if Justice hadn't came onto me like she did, as if me and Zoey were gonna start making out right then and there without her permission, though that wouldn't have been the case...That look Zoey had given me before she'd left the parking lot, was starting to haunt me.

Her eyes had been consumed with something like: sadness, longing, and abandonment.

I had a dream where she was in her bedroom, looking at the mirror above her dresser, talking to herself. Trying to convince herself about something. I didn't know what she'd been saying, but her face had the same expression she'd given me right before Justice had whisked me away.

I shivered.

"Isaac eat your breakfa—" my mom began as she put the perfectly round and fluffy pancakes on a plate in front of me. I shook my head, I needed to go. I didn't have enough time to sit down and eat breakfast this morning. "Uh mom, I have to go." I didn't catch her response and before I knew it, I exited the house.

Justice texted me asking me if I could pick her up. I told her I couldn't because I needed to run a few errands for my mom before school. However, I asked her to meet me at the front of my locker before third hour.

I hated lying to Justice, but I knew how she'd react if I told her that I was needing to catch Zoey right before school started. She'd go ballistic, calling me every name in the book, plus I didn't feel like explaining this to her. I just had this feeling, she wouldn't believe me.

When I drove into the school's parking lot, there were a few parking spots. I didn't see Zoey's car anywhere, but I parked alongside the parking spot she claimed on this very day.

I then glanced at the time. It was only 15 minutes before school started, and Justice never arrived on the clock without me driving her here. So if Zoey happened to pull up any minute from now, Justice wouldn't be able to witness it.

I beat my hands against the dashboard, for the anticipation was getting to me. I was growing anxious; my hands were sweating and my heart was thumping rapidly against my chest. I didn't get why meeting Zoey had me feeling this way. When in actuality, this wasn't my first time talking to her face-to-face. Oh but Isaac, said my conscience, this is the first time you have ever pursued her and wanted to speak to her.

I nodded, my conscience had a point. It sucked to look at it that way, but the truth sucked that way. I waited and waited. Where is she? Before you knew it, Zoey's green mini van pulled in beside me in the parking space. Though there was 8 minutes left before school started, I knew it'd be enough time for me to get to know a little bit about Zoey, or at least initiate a conversation of some sort.