Fourteen: Time is Running Out

"I could take back those moments that snatched you away from me or maybe just wipe away those ten minutes when you came to me for the first time and I looked into your eyes to realise what love is." 

― Faraaz Kazi   

   Lawson's band mates were pretty cool about everything.

   After I'd knocked out their front man with my fist, they simply carried him back to their vehicle—which resembled one of those hippy vans—and mumbled their unneeded apologies. 

   "Sorry about that."

   "Yeah, uh Lawson had a bit to drink."

  "Eh... Uh... You guys enjoy the rest of your night."

   "Yeah... Lawson... Yeah—he's just going through some things."

   I told them it was no problem.

   Zoey looked tense. I preferred that over the depressed "woe's me" look. It seemed to me like she was fighting with herself on whether or not to tend to her dumbass boyfriend, or continue accompanying me on this lovely night.

   She obviously chose the latter.

   Soon as the van left, that was when Zoey and me decided to plan our act of revenge, or as Zoey put it: getting back at them—the people who beat me up. I still had the limp, but you could barely tell I was limping with my look of coolness.

   Kate and Tucker even decided to join in on the fun, though they were too busy laughing at what had just went down.

   "Did you see the blond one's face?" Kate said, laughing hard with her hand on her stomach. "When you punched Lawson, Isaac. You made the band second guess."

   I slightly chuckled. Kate had a point. The band could've tag teamed me, but that didn't particularly mean I'd be helpless either. I had Tucker, Kate, and... Zoey.

   Tucker joined in on his girlfriend's laughing. He didn't say anything, but his face was red and tears were streaming down his face. I looked at the couple amusingly. I punched the jackass, what was so funny about it? Oh yeah, I punched the jackass in the face.

   Looking at Zoey, I saw that she had her hand over her mouth. Was she laughing, too?

   "I think I'm gonna be sick," confessed Zoey. I frowned at that. Was she going to pu—

   Zoey threw up.

:: :: ::

   "...I guess it just freaks me out a little."

   Tucker was following us to Walmart in his orange car, while Kate, who was riding with me and Zoey, sat in the back with a less than okay Zoey—who back at the Vintage Things's store parking lot, threw up.

   "I mean," explained Zoey, chewing on a mint. "What's Lawson gonna say?"

   I resisted the urge to groan in frustration. Not at Zoey, but at how her jackass boyfriend was still able to make her question things, even if he wasn't here to see it. I bit my tongue.