Chapter nine

Once I’m home, I take a quick shower. The hot water feels incredible as it splashes against my skin. For a while I just stand under the jet, letting the water pour down on me as I think about everything and fret about the party. 

I step out of the claw foot bathtub, and wrap a towel on myself. I dry off before grabbing a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie, deciding to bake the cookies for Lou’s party before getting ready. I opt for air drying my hair, running a brush through it a few times just to make sure it doesn’t turn out crazy. Makeup and wardrobe will be chosen later. 

I make my way to the kitchen setting out all of the ingredients. Flour, baking powder, sale, eggs, sugar, vanilla, chocolate, pecans, marshmallows, chocolate chips and butter. Lots and lots of butter. I preheat the oven and my work begins as I put on some music and begin to dance around my kitchen and make some cookies. I don‘t use a recipe and measure everything myself hoping that it will work and that the cookies will turn out alright.

I beat, and whisk, and crack and mix and stir and finally the cookies are about ready to put in the oven for eleven minutes. While the cookies bake I go to pick out what I’m going to wear. I quickly find an old white lace tunic top, leggings, and a semi oversized grayish blue cocoon cardigan. I set it out along with my converse and go check on the cookies. 

They turn out absolutely perfect, one of my best batches ever. I try one just to make sure they taste alright and feel pretty proud of myself when it melts perfectly in my mouth. 

Feeling accomplished, I go and get dressed sliding on the lace top and make sure the cardigan falls over my wrists as I adjust my rubber bands and bracelets. I style my hair, pulling it up into a loose bun updo that looks simple but not messy or overworked. I let a few strands hang down, framing my face. Then I move to the bathroom and moisturize and brush my teeth. This whole thing is a very long and important process. 

Next its makeup time. I don’t want to put too much on so that I look like a clown but I need to add a little more then I do in the day time. I choose to emphasize my eyes by doing a smokey eye. I blend the dark and light colors until it looks generally flawless. I don’t apply very much eyeliner because the smokey eye is doing most of the work and I add a bit of black mascara to give my eyelashes thickness and color. I move to lips choosing to only wear peppermint lip balm with no color. For me, overemphasizing my features can be disastrous. 

I check my features in the mirror about a hundred times making sure I look alright. Finally when I’m satisfied I slip on my converse, get a smaller black bag (I debate on bringing my sketch pad but ultimately decide that I won’t need it), and wrap up the cookies putting them on a white china plate with some saran wrap. 

I run over a mental check list a few times before heading out the door. 

Of course, I take public transportation, but I feel a lot more confident because I know my location is Lou’s house and since I’ve been there before I know exactly how to get there. I feel a little bit uncomfortable on the Tube all dressed up in full makeup and I try to ignore the looks I keep getting. 

About half way there the nerves begin to set in. 

First of all, I am not exactly good at the whole socializing thing. There is so much that I haven’t done, and so many things I can’t feel comfortable telling people. I’ve got so many secrets and problems, talking just makes people feel bad for me and I hate how people tend to treat you delicately after they find out that your life isn’t perfect.

And then there’s the fact that all of the people there are part of the One Direction team and the people I’ll be working with for the tour and how ever long my career as the makeup assistant lasts which is hopefully for a while. I haven’t done a very good job at introducing myself to people so right now I really only know Lou and Paul and One Direction.