Chapter twenty-one

I’m going to be seen with One Direction getting into Harry Styles car.

This cannot be good, can it?

I mean the whole fandom will most likely hate me! Then again I don’t have a twitter, tumblr or Facebook so the fans would have a pretty hard time stalking me. I’m not even sure they know who I am yet. I mean there was the Chatty Man interview incident but they only gave a name right? They have no face to put with it. Plus Harry and I are just friends right? People will understand that. Who am I kidding no they won’t understand that!

“Evan,” Harry mumbles to me, “Do you want to do this?” He asks me, “I can drive around the back and you can go through the kitchen if you don’t want to be seen,”

“Um…” My mind races, and then quietly I say, “I guess I’ll just follow you out then.”

“Okay so we’ll just have to be very direct. Don’t talk to them. Just head straight towards the car. There’s only a few out there and they’ll spread out and follow the other boys to their cars too.”

I nod, “Okay,”

“Okay then,” Harry nods, “Let’s do this.” 

He opens the door for me and I follow him out staying pretty close behind him. 

The camera’s flash blinding me but I make sure to do what he says and head straight towards the car.  Immediately the photographers are yelling:

“How are you Harry?”

“Are you two dating?”

“Are you excited for the tour?”

“Who’s the girl?”

“How was dinner?”

“Do you come here often.”

Harry walks easily though, “I’m good, how are you?” Harry asks them as we walk briskly to the car across the street.

I try to make myself as presentable as possible. I kind of wish I’d been able to look in the mirror before we walked out but too late. I keep my face down for the most part. 

“Who’s the girl?” One of the photographers yells really loudly. 

“A friend,” Harry answers simply not elaborating any more then that.

He opens my door for me and I slid in, filled with relief. I’ve survived my first encounter with the paparazzi.  

A few seconds later Harry gets into the drivers seat and we’re off, leaving the paparazzi behind.

“I’m surprised you did that,” Harry informs me.

I peer over at him, “Really? Why?” I ask him.

“I just didn’t think you’d want to be seen with me.”

“I mean it was totally humiliating…” I say sarcastically. 

“Yeah yeah yeah, whatever!” He rolls his eyes and then looks over at me smiling, “Did you have a good time tonight?” He asks me raising his eyebrows.

I think about it for a second, “I hate to admit it but… yes… I did.” I mumble.

“What? Sorry I didn’t hear you? Harry places a hand to his ear and leans in closer to me.

“I had fun tonight,” I say a little louder frowning.

“I still can’t hear you!” Harry says loudly like he’s an old man with hearing problems or something.