air • mg

A/N - Shown above is a necklace that will be mentioned later on in this chapter, the pic is just for reference so you'll know exactly what it looks like.

Also, I was originally gonna make this chapter longer, but it's too long to fit into one so I split it up into two!

It'll probably be ready for tomorrow so stay tuned, ily❤️

***********************************

"Miiiitchieeee!!"

A familiar high pitched voice rang through my ears. I look up from my book to see a pair of hands cover my eyes.

"Guess who?" she said.

I sighed. She did this to me every single school morning. I quickly flip myself round, startling the blonde.

"Hey Candice."

She then envelopes me in a hug, like always. We start to talk about the usual. Boys, what we did at the weekend, when she suddenly stops speaking and leans into me.

"You will never guess what I found."

She grabbed my hand and took me away from the bench I was sitting on, and right round the back of the school. Nobody ever goes round there. Must be pretty serious.

Candice made sure that nobody was around, and then unzips her bag. She took out a flattish box and handed it to me.

"What you are about to see is our secret. Tell nobody. Not even your best friend." I nod. When she speaks again her voice brightens up dramatically.

"Well, forget that last part because we all know that I'm your best friend in the whole entire world, so maybe do tell your best friend. But that's it."

We share a little giggle, as I start to carefully open the box. I was completely shell-shocked with what I pulled out.

A silver chain necklace, with a diamond-studded bright green teardrop-style charm on it. It was absolutely gorgeous.

"Oh my goodness Candy, I don't know what to say. It's beautiful!", I whisper, completely in awe of what hung in front of me.

"Isn't it just? It's all real. The diamonds, and an actual emerald."

Even before the Society, emeralds were extremely hard to get. You could only really get one if it had been passed down from your family.

"How did you even get a hold of one of these, and in full colour as well? That's completely impossible!" And it was.

"You don't need to know that, babe," she starts.

"What you do need to know, is that it's all yours."

Seriously?? She's offering it to me??

I start putting it back in it's box.

"Listen Candy, I couldn't possibly-"

And that's when the bell rang. Candice took her chance as she sprinted away, fully knowing that running was NOT my strong point, which left me with the necklace.

As she started to run, she called out: "Love you, sweetie! Remember: our secret!"

I put the necklace in my bag, made sure nothing in there was going to crush it and started walking as well.

When I got no more than 10 feet from the door, Michael walks up to me. I don't like Michael.

He's really loud and annoying, he's also part of the small number of people that are somehow "popular" in my school.

They became "popular" because Michael's friend James' dad is rumoured to be working with the Society, so we're all afraid of him.

Because we are so intimidated, James and his little group can make us do whatever they want, or we will (as James says) get "called in".

Sometimes I see him get picked up in a black car after school. I only see him because the way I walk home is different to everyone else. It's a more quiet area, so I can think about things, so he must have relation to the Society.

Not to mention, his whole group just happens to be extremely homophobic. Because that's considered "cool".

You can imagine the amazing time I go through at school!

Anyway, Michael just runs right over me and slings an arm round my shoulder. I immediately flinch.

"Hey, fruit!" he sneered. "I overheard Candice talk to you about a 'secret'. Ya know your old pal Mikey here loves a good secret! Care to tell me?"

I just shook my head, not even looking at him.

"Aw, maybe next time then fruity. So, what did you do at the weekend?"

I simply replied with a "Nothing, Michael", and tried to walk a little faster to get away from him. He sensed that.

"Hey guys, look! GayBoy's running for the first time in his life!"

Everyone started laughing. This is what happens day-to-day, so I'm getting used to it. I should stop trying to get away and instead try and think of a sassy comeback. Yeah, that'd show him.

Michael jogged in 'slow motion' over to me, put his hand on my shoulder and bent over, breathing animatedly.

"Dude, *pant* you're way too *pant* fast for me! I think I'm *pant* gonna *pant* pass ou-"

He then proceeds to slide onto the floor dramatically in an act of "fainting".

More roars of laughter come from the entire student body. I don't understand how they could even think that's remotely funny!

A member of staff sees the commotion and shouts at Michael to get up, and for us to get to class. I was way ahead of her. I sped-walked all the way to my first class without turning back.

My first class which just so happened to be Skills.

The same as Candice - and James.

***********************************

I've never asked this before but...
Could you hit that star for me? It lets me know you're enjoying this lil story❤️