MusicBox // peterick

"Pete!" Patrick said as he was shaking the sleeping ugliness. "Wake up, mate, we have stuff to do today!"

Pete groaned and turned around to face Patrick, who was stading right next to him on the little bed. A single ray of light was revealing his unshaved face. Pete forgot how many times he told Patrick to shave those stupid sideburns, but Patrick was too stubborn to listen. Without his sideburns and hats, he wouldn't be the same Patrick Stump.

"What the fuck do you want, lunchbox?" Pete asked harshly. "It's barely 5 am! And how did you get in the house?"

"You gave me a key, stupid. Also, MusicBox opens at seven!" Patrick grinned.

Pete got up from his bed and pushed Patrick aside. He opened the closed and grabbed a T-Shirt with the Ramones logo on it and his usual hoodie. Patrick was already playing on his Game Boy, probably Pokemon again, Pete thought. Patrick always carries his Game Boy with him, no matter what. He said that it makes him forget that he has no friends. Well, except Pete, he really did not have any friends. Neither did Pete.

"What's this MusicBox thing, Rick?"

"Don't call me that."

"Oh, sorry, lunchbox." Pete said sarcastically. "If you want to be respected, then don't wake me up at fucking five in the morning. So what is MusicBox?"

"Just one of the best music stores in Illinois!" he said excitedly, swinging his arms all around. "Well, at least that's what the other vinyl hunters said at lunch a few days ago. And I also heard that it's gonna get demolished in 2000 so we need to go now."

"Are you fucking kidding me? Why now? It's barely even summer, you idiot."

"May I remind you that I'm leaving Chicago right after 9th grade ends?"

Pete just huffed as he went downstairs, Patrick following him from behind.

***

"Maybe we'll finally find that David Bowie vinyl you've been craving to have." Pete mumbled under his breath.

"I doubt we'll ever find 'Low' anywhere," Patrick replied without looking at him. He was too focused on the road.

"Are you sure you're going in the right way? It looks like we're in the middle of nowhere." Pete stated as he looked through the window of Patrick's van. Patrick wasn't legally allowed to drive yet, since he was still 15 years old, but Pete never saw a better driver than him.

"Yeah, don't worry." Patrick replied patting Pete's shoulder.

"Are you really gonna leave when school ends?" Pete asked after a few moments of awkward silence, squeezing his lips. Patrick finally looked at him for a second, his eyes full of sadness.

"Are you?" Pete asked again, taking a long breath. Patrick was his only true friend, the only one who actually cared for him and his mental stability. Patrick was the only one who stood by his side when Pete thought he was falling apart.

"Pete, we talked about this." Patrick said calmly. "I need to go."

"But why are you leavin-"

"PETE!" Patrick suddenly yelled at him, stopping the car in the middle of the road. Pete's body was frozen. Patrick rarely got angry, and if he did, it was about something really bad. "FOR FUCK'S SAKE, JUST SHUT UP!"

Pete didn't say anything as two tears rolled off Patrick's cheeks. He wiped them quickly with his old Cubs t-shirt and rubbed his nose. Patrick restarted the engine and continued driving. Pete saw how Patrick was struggling to hold back his tears, but chose to be quiet.