Renegades // nonship

"Sometimes I want to think that we're still in highschool." Andy said as he lay down on the grass.

The boys decided to spend the night by the Red Lake, since they weren't going to get to any motel in North Dakota before they would fall asleep with their heads on the steering wheel.

"Except we're not. Now help me get some sticks, we gotta make a fire." Pete said as he got a few blankets from the van. Joe lazily got up and followed Pete.

"Have you ever slept on a lake shore, Patrick?"

"Huh?"

Patrick didn't pay attention to anything that was happening around him since they stopped the van there. It was a beautiful view: the sun slowly blending with the water as the fuscia sky gradually got darker. Of course he's seen it before, but everytime he got the chance to just stare at the sky and do nothing else, Patrick tried to get the best of it.

Who knows? Maybe tomorrow he won't see such a beautiful sunset again. Maybe tomorrow there won't be any sunset to see.

"Have you heard that song, Renegades?"

"On the radio?" Andy said sitting up. "Yeah, it's pretty cool."

Patrick sat for a moment and stared at the sky again, before he stood up and pat Andy on the shoulder.

"Yo, pass me your rubber band."

"Why?"

"I have an idea." he said as he pulled his phone and headphones from his pocket. Patrick sat back down with his back on the van's wall and playing with the rubber band.

In the mean time, Joe and Pete came back with a bunch of stiks. Pete sat down in the middle of the little circle Joe, Andy and Patrick made and he put the sticks in a cone shape. He took his lighter out of the pocket and started the little bonfire.

"Was this really necessary?" Joe asked with a tired voice.

"Where's the fun without a fire?"

Joe snorted and opened the luggage compartment of the van. His little acoustic guitar was threw there, under Patrick's and Pete's guitars. Joe got it out with a smile and adjusted the chords.

"Run away-ay with me, lost souls in revelry..."

"What are you humming, Patrick?" Pete asked him when he heard the little guy sing the lyrics just for himself.

"I learnt a new song last night. It was on the radio everyday, I couldn't get it out of my head, really." Joe interrupted Patrick as he touched the chords.

Patrick immediately recognized it, so he rushed to get his guitar from its case. Joe smiled at him when Patrick adjusted his guitar too and began playing the second riff of the song.

"Where's my kickdrum?" Andy mumbled to himself after a second of hearing Patrick and Joe playing together.

"Okay, Patrick, three-two-one..." Joe told him when Andy got his old kickdrum from the van and placed it on the grass.

Joe was harmonizing with his voice and Andy was clapping his hand and hitting the drum as Patrick sang the lyrics again, clearly this time.

"Run away-ay with me... Lost souls in revelry... Running wild, running free..."

Patrick threw a shy smile at Pete, who was just enjoying the view and smiling back. Pete got Joe's electric guitar from the van and connected it to his portable amp.

"Two kids, you and me..." Andy sang with Patrick together.

Pete adjusted the guitar and watched the guys get in sync before he also joined in.

"And I said hey, hey, hey, hey! Living like we're renegades. Hey, hey, hey! Hey, hey, hey! Living like we're renegades!"

Andy was whistling along with Pete, harmonizing with Patrick as Pete stood up and circled the fire.

"Long live the pioneers..."

"..-la-la, la-la-la, la-la-la." Joe sang with him.

"Rebels and mutineers..."

Andy stepped away from the drum and clapped all around the guys.

"Go forth and have no fear..." Patrick snickered as he leaned closer to the fire. "Come close, lend an ear..."

Joe hit his guitar with his fist and strummed it louder, stepping on the log Pete sat on.

"...livin' like we're renegades."

Pete swung Joe's guitar, copying the piano parts from the songs and the other harmonies. The entire set sounded amazing, even better than the original performers. And they didn't even practice. It was like everything was meant to flow together, like that one simple song from the radio instantly clicked inside the four guys' minds.

"So all hail the underdogs, all hail the new kids..." Joe took Patrick's place and sang the bridge, to Andy's and Pete's surprise. Only Patrick knew how talented Joe really was.

Andy smiled and joined in. "All hail the outlaws..."

And even Pete! The one who everyone considered to have Satan himself hidden in his vocal chords; Pete could actually sing well if he tried. "Spielbergs and Kubrics." he sang with a ridiculously high voice, earning a laugh from Joe.

"SING!" Patrick screamed at them as he swung his head back.

"It's our time to make a move, it's our time to make amends!" they all sang together. "It's our time to break the rules... Let's begin."

But the boys stopped on purpose. The only one who was still playing was Andy, clapping his hand and singing the chorus all alone.

"And I said hey, hey, hey, hey! Livin' like we're renegades."

"That's how you do it!" Patrick shouted again, patting a blushing Andy on the back and resuming his play.

"Andy Hurley, everybody!" Pete laughed.

"..-hey, hey! Livin'" Patrick sang with a guttural voice. "like we're renegades. Renegades... renegades."

Joe took a wild choice and jumped over the small fire, improvising the last bits of the song.

And they were done. Still alone in the woods. Four kids, having no direction in life. Given up everything for music. That's basically their definition for 'renegades'.

But they were proud when they highfived with the biggest smiles ever. So damn proud.

~~~

SORRY FOR BEING SO INACTIVE WITH THIS BOOK OMF

At least I wrote a lot of stuff lately, and this is cheesy, but I always imagined these four dorks playing this song together if vandays was happening in 2015.

Man, I love this song so much.