speed dating • minishaw

Simon faceplanted onto the bed.

Agony.

Possibly the worst pain he'd ever felt.

This was the great and terrible ten, slamming him again and again as he lay still and alone in his bed staring at the ceiling.

"Since Tuesday, you mean," Josh said sceptically, spinning circles in the racer chair. Simon look up at him sadly.

"It was different this time, though. He smiled at me," he wailed.

"A guy, again? I know you said you're bi, but there hasn't been a girl for a few weeks now," Josh commented. Simon sighed, knowing what was implied.

Was he gay? He hadn't really thought about it much, but it didn't really bother him whether or not he was.

"It doesn't matter. Either way, I'll never have anyone."

Josh slowed down the chair with his leg, accidentally whacking Simon's foot in the process.

"Sorry."

Simon mumbled an incoherent response that was muffled by the pillow.

"Actually, though," Josh said, "I think you may have some sort of deformity. This isn't healthy, you need to do something about it."

"Well, what can I do? There's no point in trying... I'll never be able to leave the house again," Simon concluded sadly.

Lately, going outside meant seeing some pretty face that would haunt his dreams for the next few days.

Josh slapped his thigh suddenly.

"That's it! You just need to go outside and talk to people you'd potentially be interested in and eventually you'll get over your fear," he said excitedly.

"Not a chance." Simon immediately shut down his idea. "How am I gonna approach people if I can't even look them in the eye?"

"Trust me, it'll work. Don't people say something about... exposure in small doses building immunity?"

"Yeah, about vaccines." Simon rolled his eyes. "This is crazy. You're crazy."

"Come on, do you want to fix this problem or not? Plus, I'll be with you every step of the way," Josh pleaded, but Simon was still a bit doubtful.

Would it actually work? Having to deal with a broken heart every week was pretty depressing, but Josh's treatment didn't seem too exciting either.

"Fine," he groaned, "but only once."

Cue Josh's evil smirk.

//

"Can you not be so obvious about it?" Simon muttered under his breath at Josh, who had been calling out and pointing to every single person who looked around their age.

"If you want me to stop, then choose somebody, for god's sake!" Josh exclaimed, exasperated. "Hey, how about that one? He's got a nice butt."

Simon followed Josh's gaze and immediately found himself blushing. A cute guy was standing dangerously close to their table, lining up for a coffee.

Josh was right, but there was no way Simon going to admit it out loud.

Out of nowhere, the boy turned around, catching Simon staring straight at him. Simon whipped his head back around as fast as he could, but still caught the amused smile on the stranger's lips.

Why did he have to have such a pretty face as well?

Simon did recall agreeing to go out in order to cure his 'condition', not to contract another case of love sickness.