6. My Trouble is the Record of A 'T. Swift' Track

Rubin was sick of me when I came home the next day. He was spiraling out about how mom and dad were calling me over a zillion times on my cellphone, and then he convinced them that I was studying over Parker's and spent the night. The sad thing is that they actually believed him. History shows that Rubin is the worst when it comes to being a liar, but he uses his child-like charm to convince anyone to believe something. Including compelling mom and dad that they are over reacting to something so small, when really, it is a big deal.
Thank God for Rubin.
Then, damn me for being his little brother.

He dragged me to his room and shut the door to prevent anyone from hearing our conversation. He was sending me a heated glare as though he was ready to kill me before mom and dad could even get a chance to. And Rubin was vicious when he was angry. Like a sniper, to be honest. Just shooting bullets without missing a shot. It was crazy.

"What...the...hell WAYNE?!" he swore, keeping his voice strong and rough with a tight glare burning to my soul. I felt small whenever he was pissed off, so it really got to me real easily. I tried to speak to him of course, but he cut me off by saying things like, "You owe me big time for this you freakin' idiot! Mom and dad were going to send a hunt for you and then kill me for lacking where the blazes you were, dammit."

Finally, before he could step in, I put my hands up and blurted, "I was at a party with Parker and I met someone. Give me a chance!" I threw my hands over my mouth.  I never felt my lips burn so much from something I had said.
My bones were trembling inside my skin as I imagined a large brick colliding into the roof of my head, ending my misery all together. There was no freaking way Rubin was going to drop the fact that I had went to a party without mom and dad's permission. Worst of all, the fact that I mentioned I met 'someone' while attending the party. Rubin started asking me questions as to who it was, how it happened, and where it lead to. I wasn't amused or in the mood to cooperate. I sort of wanted to just lie in bed all day, damning myself to misery for opening my mouth to begin with.

Instead, I had to tell Rubin something. Otherwise, he was going to tell mom and dad about me going to a party without their consent. He literally walked up to me with his eyes squinted as he said, "Speak now or I'll bring hell on you, boy". He feigned a southern drawl while speaking, causing me to gulp from nervousness. Whenever Rubin would squint or glare at me, my bones would stiffen since he would be dead serious. Once he squinted at me and threatened to kill my goldfish if I hadn't given him back his guitar. I didn't take him seriously, but the next day I found my goldfish facing the ceiling with its eyes a stale color.
Now, I know how to take Rubin more seriously.

My palms grew sweaty as he continued staring at me with heaviness. I could tell him about the girl I spent time with last night, and how I woke up this morning and she was gone. Her name is a blur to me, but he would think I was lying.
So. I blurt out.

"You know Monique?" I ask him all of a sudden. My plan is to keep my voice straight as I speak. He nods. I continue. "We kissed last night. We made out for a long time too."
Shit. Shit. Shit.

"Wait a minute." Rubin shook his head before sitting down at the edge of the bed. "You. And Monique Fort?" His eyes widened with a gasp. "Bloody hell." He snickered, running his fingers through the front of his hair to push it back.

I rolled my eyes.
"Screw you."

I tried to leave, Rubin made it hard for me to do so. He knew I've been interested in Monique for a while. Ever since Sophomore Year. Now, I am dealing with the fact that my brother believes I could actually get a kiss from her and then make out with her. I told him to let me leave, but he insisted that I'd stay and talk. He had a serious look on his face, and I could feel my veins shaking beneath my skin. I felt my Adam's apple tighten and I felt my palms sweat before I sat myself down at the edge of his bed. My legs pulled in close to my chose, and I felt like a shriveled little kid that was scared to speak my mind.
To be honest, I was scared to speak my mind. Shoot. Rubin had me pinned against a brick wall at this point, banging my head, asking for answers.
I knew I didn't hook up with Monique. Instead, I hooked up with that girl--- what's her name? ---and I felt my heart sink. I wanted to die right then and there.

Instead, I said, "We kissed." True. "Her boyfriend came and was pissed off." True.

He then asked, "That's it?"

Then, I lied. "No. She pulled me upstairs and we kissed again." Lies. Lies. Lies. I was flat-out lying about everything. Sure, a girl did drag me upstairs, but it wasn't Monique. "We kissed a lot, and other things." I was almost quiet when I spoke towards the end, but Rubin heard me. He snickered and asked me if I was messing with him.
I was. But, I just shook my head in denial. His pupils dilated and his eyes widened.
He was impressed. For once, my older brother was impressed with me.

Later on, I locked myself in room and dreamed about dying of guilt. I was shaking underneath my bed sheets, and I could feel the grayness of the sky aiming towards me. My bones were stinging inside me as I pressured my head against the pillow. All I could feel were my bones. Everything else was a ghost. I was pitiful. Utterly pitiful.

I cursed to myself: How the hell could you do this?! Damn it, Wayne?! You damn putz?! How could you?! Monique of all people?! Why use her?!

I was angry. I was pissed off.
I wanted to bash my head into the wall a million times over. I wanted to feel my head bleed from the inside until I felt nothing. I just wanted to lie on the ground, drowning in my stupidity. I dream of all this---

---yet, nothing. I was in my room, sulking like a sick puppy.

I knew that there would be a point where I would have to tell Rubin that the whole thing was just a cover-up, but I really did hook up with someone. Only thing is that it wasn't Monique Fort. A boy can only dream, anyways.

Unfortunately, Rubin made it impossible for me to keep my plans straight into action since he would nudge me in the head, saying things like, "Good luck with the girlfriend, Wayne." Then, he would smile. He would give me the most genuine smiles.
He was really proud of me now. Shit.

****************

For the past couple of days, I have been focused on avoiding Monique Fort in and out of school. I would purposely sit far away from her in classes. I would purposely speed-walk pass her if she was in the hallway. I would purposely pretend she didn't exist. Although, my actions and anxiety said a different story. I knew she was there. I just didn't want her to know that I was there.
I didn't want her to know that I was around.

I would sometimes beg Parker and Cole to pretend that I wasn't around and to lie if Monique ever asked for me. Once, Cole looked at me as if I had lost my mind, reminding me that I have been wanting Monique since Sophomore Year. I knew he was right.
Then again, I couldn't explain to him why I was avoiding her.
He would think I was a casual 'fuck-boy'. Sadly.

So, I would just say, "Please, just do this for me? Please?"

Cole would roll his eyes and nod, while Parker would say, "You're a damn putz. Fine."

*******************

I've avoided Monique for three weeks now, and not once of my soul does not feel guilty.
I cannot believe myself.

I'm sitting upstairs, listening to Matchbox Twenty while writing my essay for English III. I constantly replay the night of the party in my head. The girl with the short dark hair and dark red lips smiles at me in my memory. She tells me her name, but I can barely remember what she said it was that night. She dragged me upstairs and we spent the night kissing, undressing each other, and then...
...nothing else. I assume we had sex, but I don't know.
I can't recall anything.

I remember Monique and I kissing each other on the steps, but only for a brief moment. I remember her boyfriend pulling her away from me after punching me or something like that, I guess. I can recall that, but I can't recall anything else really. Nothing major.

This sucks.

Then, I hear my mom call me downstairs.
"Wayne! There's a friend here to see you!"

I assume it's Parker or Cole, wondering why I've been acting so weird lately. I wouldn't be surprised if it was them, to be frank. Normally, I'm not so cautious.

Yet, when I go downstairs and stand at the doorway, I see a shy looking Monique Fort standing at the doorway with her hands to her sides before she blinks. She slightly grins.
"Hey, Wayne", she gets out, keeping her voice straight, "long time no see."

Crap, I'm dead. Crap, I'm dead.

"Hey Monique" I finally say before I allow her to come in.
Rubin notices and smirks at me before walking into the kitchen.

I am so dead after this.