Garden Songs

The four founders had done much in the past month, and they had already decided they could start the school next year. The great hall's ceiling was enchanted according to Rowena's suggestion. Godric had enchanted candles to float there as well. Ravenclaw had come up with a list of lessons, chose their locations, and Helga had joined her to decorate the classrooms. Helga also managed to get an infirmary, and a kitchen started, where she taught many of the house elves her recipes, which the house elves enjoyed. And the creatures were always glad to have Helga's kind companionship as they cooked. Meanwhile, Salazar had been asking for potion ingredients, and so he decided to help Helga build the greenhouse and the gardens, as Helga had always been decent with plants.

Today, both Rowena and Godric decided to join them. Slytherin was impatiently pacing along the line in the greenhouse which had been dedicated to potion ingredients, one of his hands impatiently tapping the pocket where he kept his wand, desperately wanting to boost the plants so they would grow faster. The mandrakes hadn't even grown roots. He could hardly hear a squeal, and he was getting annoyed.

Rowena picked up a poppy, examining it's red petals, while Godric read a book, slouching on the side of a garden box, waving away the petals that fell onto the pages. As he looked up and saw the flower in Rowena's hands, he smiled mischievously, asking, "Is that flower for me?"

Rowena rolled her eyes, but held out the flower, "If you want it."

Godric, genuinely surprised by Rowena's answer, took the flower from her pale hands gently, as if the offer would be broken if he acted too harshly. He held the poppy, still wide-eyed. Then he shrugged, using a charm to protect the flower and continued to read, a slight smile on his face.

Salazar grimaced in disgust from the exchange, and turned to see Helga, levitating multiple watering cans, letting it drizzle on all the plants. She glided along the rows, wand out, with a gentle, patient smile, muttering spells.

Seeing that she wasn't looking, he turned to a mandrake, planning to boost it's growth in secret. As he began the spell, however, Helga put down the watering cans, and called his name. He swore under his breath, but turned to face the witch.

"You did place the apparating protection charm on the school grounds with Godric, correct?" She asked, Salazar nodded, silent.

"Good." She then saw Salazar's wand in hand, though he tried to hide it behind his back. Helga sighed, "Salazar, you know that plants don't grow well if magic interferes."

Salazar's shoulders slumped, defeated, "I'm getting impatient." He admitted, turning away. Helga tapped her chin, pondering, then, an idea came to mind, and she pulled Salazar with her to the edge of the garden, where a couple flowers bloomed. She searched the mini-meadow, and when she found a small flower, obviously about to bloom, though not quite there, she instructed Salazar to kneel opposite it, as she kneeled in front of the flower, hands held out, palms up.

"Watch." She said simply. Salazar rolled his eyes, but watched nevertheless.

And then, to the wizard's surprise, Helga started singing.

"Hello my old good friend,
I saw you 'cross the river bend.
Why do you cry why do you weep,
What bothers you in your sleep?"

The melody was soft, mysterious, and as Salazar watched the witch close her eyes and sing, hands caressing the air around the flower bud, the flower started to bloom. Pink petals peeked out of its shell. Helga kept singing.

"Why do you weep why do you cry?
Should I sing you a lullaby?"

The tune changed slightly, going higher than before. Climbing down in groups.

"Though I can't make it all alright,
I hope you'll stay strong and bright."

The song returned to its original melody.

"Hello my old good friend,
When shall I sing for you again?"

As Helga opened her eyes again, Salazar, dropping his sincere attitude, looked at the fully bloomed flower in wonder. Nearly like a child. Wrinkles seemed to disappear. Then, he looked up at Helga, entranced by her singing.

"Sing it again."

Helga smiled, and gladly sang the song again. Only this time, her voice was there specifically for Salazar to hear. And as he listened, he closed his eyes as well, straightening into a comfortable sitting position.

And when Helga opened her eyes from her song, she saw Salazar, sitting cross-legged, peacefully breathing. But what surprised her the most, was the faint, but clear, smile upon his face.