Ambition

The hat landed back on the table with a thump.

"GAH! Why isn't this working?!" Rowena yelled frustratedly. The other three looked up from their tables, Godric with a raised eyebrow, Helga with her eyes wide behind a nearly full grown mandrake she was trimming, and Salazar simply acknowledging the witch and going back to his inspection of a small piece of rusted metal.

"I don't understand, this should work, I've listed all the traits we brainstormed. None of my calculations are wrong, and I paired all of them with the right sound and created this spell. This should work." Rowena ranted, scanning a piece of parchment with scribbles and arrows, the result of her extensive research and calculations for a spell.

Rowena frowned, "I put enough concentration, I definitely had a good thought for each of the traits we need..."

Helga walked out from behind her small desk filled with plants, papers, and a couple books. "Rowena, perhaps you need a bit of help..."

Rowena scowled and snapped back, "I don't need help."

"I was just thinking, you've been at this for over a week now, and you look absolutely horrible. The bags under your eyes are getting worse, even with my beauty charms." Helga said timidly in front of the skilled, scowling sorceress.

Rowena's shoulders slumped, "I suppose you are right. However, I can not fathom why the spell isn't working."

"Never mind that for now," Helga hurried over to usher Rowena back to her bed, "right now you need to have a well-deserved nap."

"But..."

"No buts," Helga pushed, giving Rowena a glare, "off to bed."

Rowena smiled slightly at the yellow-cloaked witch's motherly attitude, and obeyed, yawning slightly as she went.

Godric looked up from his pile of letters they were preparing to send. Because of some... rather scandalous incident with a teacher, Helga had placed him in charge of writing the last quarter of them, without magic, as punishment.

"May I have a nap, too?" He whined, glancing at Helga, who looked satisfied Rowena was finally taking a break.

Both Helga and Salazar glared at him.

"I'll take that as a no." Godric sighed, dipping his quill into his emerald-green ink and continuing to write.

Salazar rolled his eyes, but went back to his inspection, muttering something and taking down notes.

Helga walked up to him and asked what he was inspecting.

"Possible enhancer to wands," he explained briskly, scribbling something else down, "may help the wizard or witch connect better to the wand."

Helga tilted her head slightly in curiosity, "You know for a while I studied if how the handles of wands were carved affected the connection between wizard and wand."

Salazar glanced up for a split second, intrigued, "And your results?"

"Inconclusive, I realized I probably needed a second point of view. Or somebody to verify my theories. Though I did not have someone to do so." Helga sighed, as if slightly disappointed she could not finish the study.

Salazar nodded vaguely, having lost all interest, and continued to focus so hard that he heard nothing of what Helga had just told him, "Helga, could I use your wand?"

"Sure," Helga answered, reaching into her cloak and placing it in Salazar's gloved hands.

Salazar placed the tiny piece of metal at the bottom of the wand's handle.

"Flexibility?"

"Hm? Oh, supple."

"Ah now we won't receive any new information from that now will we?" Salazar stated, removing the metal.

Helga took back her wand, "Sorry I couldn't help."

Salazar nodded, not a hint of comfort in his expression, "That's ok," He sighed, placing the metal carefully back on the table, "if no one has discovered a wand enhancer thus far, I doubt there is one."

Helga looked at the wizard getting up from behind his desk questioningly, "You're giving up?"

"I don't give up."

"Then what are you..."

"It had seemed like Rowena could use a bit of help," Salazar voiced, stepping over to the mentioned witch's pile of notes, "for now, the results of wand enhancing remain inconclusive."

"But you seemed to imply you were giving..."

Salazar interrupted Helga once again, "I am a very ambitious man, Helga," he began, eyeing Helga seriously, "I never give up in what I do, or what I believe."

Helga smiled at the wizard's attitude, then replied, "May I help you aid Rowena with the charm as well, then?"

Salazar smiled at the witch's naive attitude and her enthusiasm to help. Sometimes she reminded him of a mature, motherly figure, yet other times, he wondered how she could be so childish.

He rolled his eyes, "If you would like to."

And so, with Godric's constant complaints about how his hand hurt, Salazar and Helga worked side by side in perhaps the most unusual and peculiar friendship.