Houses

"I've got it!" Rowena exclaimed finally, causing Godric's head to jolt up from his nap. Helga rose  from behind the now full grown devil's snare that she was tending to in the headmasters' office (for some questionable reason), and Salazar stopped fiddling with the locket around his neck.

Rowena cleared her throat, slightly embarrassed by her outburst. But the four headmasters had been sitting in their office for way too long now, trying to think of some way to satisfy what Helga had promised Salazar. And she had just come up with a brilliant idea. Though she did not feel incredibly motivated to satisfy Salazar, she did pride herself of her brilliant ideas, and so began to brainstorm with the other headmasters (Even though, as you could tell by him only just waking up, Godric did not provide much effort).

The other three gathered around Rowena's round, organized desk, filled with funny little instruments you and I would never know the names of. She cleared a space and began. 

"We'll split the school into houses. Four of them, one for each of us." Rowena explained, tapping four spots on the table with her wand as if it were a map, "Each house will have one of us as it's leader. We'll pick which students will be in our respective houses, and we'll be responsible for teaching our own house, and what they learn."

Salazar squinted, slightly unsure of the idea. Helga smiled at Rowena, nodding subtly to show Rowena she approved.

Rowena, comforted by Helga's gesture, continued, "We'll handpick each student to each house..."

"Handpick?" Godric interrupted, eyes wide, "Come on, Rowena. We're going to have to do this every year for it to work, and, although I know we don't like to think about it, our end will come someday, and if the school is to continue, we'll need some way to sort all the first years."

Rowena pursed her lips, "I was afraid you would say that. I can't think of anything on that matter."

The four founders silenced, all deep in thought once again. Salazar broke it.

"Godric, do you mind?" Salazar asked, raising his wand.

"Mind what?" Godric turned his head, and with a swish and flick of his wand, Salazar lifted the hat off the confused wizard's head. "Hey! Salazar!" Godric complained, grabbing for the hat.

Salazar ignored his complaints, rose the hat a bit further, and addressed the two witches, "We'll charm this hat. We'll come up with certain characteristics and a way to sort the students."

Helga smiled, "That's a great idea, Salazar!"

"And," Salazar continued, pleased by the compliment, "We need to make this official. The extra rooms? We could disguise them, make them the common rooms."

"Ooh!" Helga exclaimed, excited, "We could design symbols for each house, too. Choose an animal or something, stitch the crest to the students' robes."

Godric smirked at the idea, "I call lion!"

Rowena pointed at her diadem, "Eagle."

Helga tapped her chin, "Badger."

"Badger?" Salazar asked, smiling slightly at the witch's decision.

Helga nodded.

The wizard in green thought for a moment, wondering what animal he could choose.

"Serpent," Salazar said, "My house's symbol will be a serpent."

Godric grinned, "I've always known you to make things unnecessarily dramatic, haven't I, Salazar?"

Salazar smirked slightly, addressing the wizard, "Yes, you have, haven't you?"

Godric gave a hearty laugh, then stood up to grab his hat out of the air, and placed it back on his head.

Helga glowed with happiness at the two wizards bonding.

Inside, Salazar was doing a secret little happy dance. Both by seeing Helga's approving expression and Godric laughing.

Perhaps he didn't hate some people after all.