.5.

The next morning was a rush. 

I woke at 10 a.m. and immediately grabbed my things and the card off the nightstand. I made my way to the lobby where I thanked the New Yorker and returned the room key.

Once I was out the door and in the car, I opened the card for the directions.

Reading them made me feel like I was on a scavenger hunt. But not one of those cute ones your parents make up when you're little just to keep you busy. This one had a strange life or death situation bubbling in my system.

Some reason I felt as if Rhett were a time bomb. I began to consider his condition positively and negatively all the same. If I had a good thought, it was quickly followed by doubt.

I'm still calling him, hoping that maybe he'll give up this whole chase and just tell me where he is. But he hasn't picked up.

Pulling out onto the road, I turned up the radio. 

I felt more relaxed than I had in the past two days though. 

Knowing that he wants me to find him means everything.

Knowing that he didn't just leave means more.

But knowing that he wants my help, means more than anything.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I had been driving all morning. It was now 1 p.m. and I was halfway through the list of directions.

He said to follow them until I feel like I should make a detour. He said I would know what he meant.

But I'm concerned that I've already went too far. Like, maybe I should have stopped an hour ago or ten minutes or...before now.

The road I'm currently driving down is completely isolated.

Not one building, no one, nothing.

What does Rhett take me to be?  I began to panic.

And then I saw it.

A small shack a half a mile down.

It's rugged and steam is smoking out around it. The screen door is hanging on by a nail and the windows are all boarded up.

And somehow, I knew that this is exactly what Rhett meant by detour. I slowly pulled over and parked in front of the house. 

My palms were sweating a bit, maybe this isn't the house.

What if I die?

What if I never get to Rhett?

What will happen to him?

I debated turning around, but it was already too late.

An old woman about half my size walked onto the porch with a grin.

"How can I help you?" she beckoned with a cough. I spotted the movement of a fluffy black cat behind her.

I signed, "Um, hello ma'am. I'm sorry to bother you. Um, my name is Lincoln and I was -"

"Oh right. The boy, the boy told me you'd be here," she laughed deeply and left me standing alone.

Once she returned, she handed me a envelope.

 "Your boy was a mess I tell you. Do you know how he's doing?"

She picked up her cat as began petting his fur. I twitched, "Um, no...I'm actually looking for him. He um, left and that's what this is," I held up the envelope, "Finding him."

She grinned, her wrinkles forming deep, "You seem like a good boy. When you find him, make sure you tell him you love him, alright?"

I nodded, smiling almost, "Every day ma'am. Thank you for your help."

She smiled and waved me off, "Good luck."

With that, I left the woman's shack and drove off. I went far enough until I found a gas station and pulled in.

I immediately opened the envelope to find a photograph of a boy about seven years old. He was frowning deeply and wore rags. But he had the purest blue eyes.

The note behind the photo read:

Link, you've made it this far and I'm realizing that maybe I shouldn't be putting you through any of this. This is hard for you and I'm sorry. I just...I'm trying Link, I am. And this is helping me. I'll explain it all when I see you again, but for now, I need you to know that you're the only thing I have left. You are the only thread that's keeping me here. Please...hurry. Please don't give up. I believe in you. I'll love you forever. - Rhett 

My heart began to jump again. This note put me on the edge. 

I didn't want to think about what any of this may mean, because it scared me. 

It truly did.

------------

Hope you enjoyed! Thanks for reading! You're great!

Vote, comment, and all that good stuff if you so please!

And always remember to be your mythical best!

- Robin Nicole

Chasing Rhett | Rhett & Link On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara