.9.

I pulled up to the lake without a problem.

Only a few hours had passed since I read the last letter from Rhett.

He said he would be here.

I was nervous to say the least. 

What if he wasn't here? 

What if something bad has happened to him?

What if? What if?

I tried to stop all the constant negative thoughts.

I tried to tell myself that I was over thinking everything and that Rhett was fine and he would be exactly where he said he would be. I'm not too late. I can't be.

Once I parked the car, I grabbed my keys and shoved them into my pocket.

I took a good last look in the rear view mirror and got out of the car.

I felt like I might puke. But I also felt so ready. 

I missed him so much.

It had been only a few days, but it was enough.

I needed to see him and hold him and love him the way he deserved to be loved.

I took a deep breathe and started for the lake. I knew exactly where he would be, if he was here.

By the tree.

That was our spot. That was where we always sat out here. We would just stare out into the lake and talk about the future. It was like a second home for us.

I continued on, my breath hitching every once in a while. Images of Rhett in many forms went through my mind..

I just wanted him back.

And there he was.

There he was, laying against the tree, and throwing rocks into the lake. One by one.

His usually quaffed hair was now dead along with the grass of winter. He was wearing the same black t-shirt and jeans he was wearing the last time I saw him. He was shaking and pale, but he looked okay...overall.

Then I noticed all the scars and the marks. His arms were covered with small slits and big bruises. He looked as if he had been to literal hell and back.

He looked defeated.

I was only ten feet away.

He hadn't noticed me yet.

So I ran to him.

I engulfed him in my arms like he was my first born. I held him so tight and started to cry.

"Rhett," I choked out, "I missed you..."

He said nothing, he didn't even hug me back. 

I didn't care though. He was cold and thin.

"Rhett, are you okay, buddy? What happened? Why did you leave? I'm so sorry..."

I pulled back to look at him. He was crying too. He was in shock mostly.

"You're here..."

"Of course I am. You're my best friend, Rhett."

He looked me in the eyes and smiled, "Link..."

His smile faded a bit, "I'm sorry I did this..."

I pulled back and sat down, taking his hands, "Hey, don't be sorry. It's okay. You're okay and that's all that matters."

I rubbed the back of his hands with my thumbs, "We can talk about this later, okay? But for now, how about we get in the car. You're freezing."

Rhett tensed up.

"Link, I have so much to tell you. I've lied about a lot of things. I...I don't know if you'll want to stay if -"

"Shut up, Rhett McLaughlin. Nothing you can ever do will tear us apart, understand?"

Rhett nodded slowly, "Thank you...for everything."

"Always."

---------

Thanks for reading! Comment and vote please!!

You're awesome! 

And remember to be your mythical best!!

- Robin Nicole