- 2 -

Beth was acutely aware of Soren following her in his big black SUV as she drove back home. But then she'd been acutely aware of him since first she'd seen him, that day she decided to buy the condo. Maybe she had even made the decision because of him.

God, wasn't she too old for a crush? Evidently not, because one sight of Soren Larsen had engraved him indelibly in her mind. He was handsome, with an elegant build. He moved like an athlete, and the gold color of his eyes was striking. Like a tiger's eyes, she thought.

And something about him struck her as dangerous, but not in a bad way. How weird was that? Maybe it was his tiger's eyes.

But not even for long she distracted herself with thoughts of a silly schoolgirl crush, and how ridiculous that was in a woman of thirty-two. She was heading home again, heading to that place she called home anyway, a place that not even for one instant seemed welcoming anymore. In one short week she had come to wish that she'd noticed that feeling of being watched before she had bought the place. Because now all she wanted was to get out of it. Fast.

She pulled into her slot in the building's parking garage and waited while Soren pulled into his. The penthouse slots were nearer the elevator, hardly surprising. When he climbed out, she felt again his extraordinary impact and wondered why she responded that way.

His smile was nice, too, even if it looked a bit forced. He used his own key to open the elevator then waved her in ahead of him. He seemed to her to hesitate, but only for a split second, before entering the car with her. She must have imagined it.

"Which floor?" he asked, reaching for the buttons.

"Twenty-fourth."

He punched the button, then leaned back against the far wall, not looking at her. Indeed, he almost seemed to hold his breath.

Was she that repulsive to him? She knew she looked rather mousy, in fact it was an appearance she mostly cultivated in order to be left alone, but she didn't think she stank. Had nervousness outworn her deodorant or something?

Irritated, she glanced away from him and watched the floors tick by. The ride seemed unusually long, and when the doors opened, she stepped out quickly and turned to face him.

"Look," she said, her tone a little sharp, "I don't want to inconvenience you anymore. I'll just deal with it tonight and wait for Mr. Peres tomorrow."

He straightened, pulling away from the car wall, and held out an arm so the elevator doors wouldn't close. "I'm sorry?"

"Well, I can tell you'd rather be elsewhere. Clearly, something about me repels you."

Both his brows lifted. Then he astonished her with a laugh. "You've got that exactly backward."

"What?" Now she felt confused.

"Nothing about you repels me," he said flatly. "Quite the contrary. And I insist on checking out your apartment. Asher wants me to, I'm concerned about what you're feeling, and if possible, I'd like to experience it, too. Unless you really do want to go back there by yourself tonight?"

Her jaw dropped a little. Had she totally misread him? His body language had definitely made her feel he wanted to be away from her. But he'd told her the exact opposite was true. What was she to believe?

Finally, she managed a shrug and let him follow her to her door. Mavis had recommended Asher Peres, and Asher had vouched for Soren, so there was absolutely no reason on earth to suspect this man of anything except a desire to help her.

She must be too stressed, must be reading things wrong. Certainly, she was short on sleep.

She swiped the key card at her door and pushed it open.