- 7 -

As the meal finished up, Mackenzie dragged Jay into the kitchenette to wash dishes. Soren and Asher stepped outside onto the terrace as if it were not a frigid autumn night. Julie gave a small jerk of her head to Beth and led her back into the empty spare bedroom.

They sat cross-legged on the carpeted floor.

"I'm going to be nosy," Julie said.

"Be my guest. If I get annoyed, I'll tell you."

"Good. You're attracted to Soren, aren't you?"

Beth hesitated, then nodded. "I have been since I first saw him. And since my last boyfriend cheated on me, I don't want to be attracted."

Julie winced. "Ouch!"

"Yeah. For six of the eight months we were together."

"How did you find out?"

"The other girlfriend found out about me somehow and called me."

"Even more fun."

"Well, she dumped him, too."

Julie laughed quietly. "Good."

"But you didn't want to talk about that."

Julie hesitated. "No. It's just that...well, Soren is struggling, Beth. He's trying very hard to tame down his natural instincts around you. From what I can tell, it's not just a passing fancy he's feeling. It's something stronger."

"He kind of said that. I wasn't sure what he meant, though." Beth leaned back against the wall, waiting to hear what Julie might have to say.

"Asher," Julie said, "will cheerfully tell you I nearly drove him insane. And honestly, I didn't really understand. I mean, it seems so simple to just tell yourself that you can't have someone. I've done it more than once when I had a crush of some kind."

"Are you saying it's different for vampires?"

"Very different." Julie tipped her head to one side. "Mackenzie read me the riot act one night. She told me that Asher was like someone who'd been drinking rotgut wine and all of a sudden a bottle of the finest champagne was in reach. And I was the champagne."

Beth felt a little shock, a surprisingly pleasant one. And with it a throbbing hint of her desire. "Are you trying to warn me away?"

"Actually no. I'm just trying to tell you what you're up against. I love Asher dearly. Do you feel any attraction to him?"

Beth gasped. "Asher? No! Oh, I wouldn't want you to think that. Absolutely not. Did I do something?"

Julie shook her head quickly. "Not at all. It's just that vampires can cause a fascination in some people. They don't do it consciously, it just is. And one of the things that convinced Asher I was attracted to him and not his being a vampire was that I didn't feel the same attraction to Soren."

"Oh. Oh! I see. I hadn't even thought of that." But how would she? All she knew about vampires was from the movies, much of which was apparently wrong, and the few things Soren had told her. "I'm obviously uneducated."

Julie laughed. "Most of us are until we meet a vampire who'll tell us the truth. No, I just wanted you to be aware of the possibility of fascination. But if you don't feel it for Asher as well, then that's not it. So how do you feel about Soren?"

"Curious. Drawn. I like him." More than that she honestly couldn't say, even if her body and emotions felt more strongly. She had to keep reminding herself that she hardly knew Soren, certainly not enough to feel more than the most basic attractions. "But your description of being a bottle of champagne... Do you mean that as food?"