- 9 -

The next thing she knew, they were at the bottom of the steps that led from the street to Asher's office. Soren didn't even set her down, but ran a key card through a scanner then punched in a code. And instant later she heard bolts slam open. Only when they were inside, with the door closed, did Soren lower her back to her feet.

            "That was some trip," she murmured, pressing her hands to her chilled cheeks.

            "If we're going to make a habit of this," Soren remarked almost humorously, "I need to get you something to keep your face warm." He held out his hand and she took it gratefully.

            Together they walked down the darkened hallway to the open door of Asher's office. Warm light spilled forth.

            Inside they found Mackenzie at her desk. She arched both darkened eyebrows at them. "You're early."

            "Asmodai came to my condo a short while ago," Soren replied. He guided Beth to the sofa, where he encouraged her to sit. "She needs a warm drink, Mackenzie. I think I nearly froze her."

            "Travel by vampire does have a few disadvantages." Mackenzie pressed an intercom button. "Asher? You need to emerge from the depths. We've got trouble."

            Then she rose and walked over to the kitchenette where she poured a steaming mug of coffee and brought it to Beth. "You going to be ok, sweetie?"

            "I'm fine, just cold."

            "Yeah, it occurs to me that clothes suitable for skiing might be good for traveling with a vampire. I figured that out last night, thanks to Kane."

            Beth managed a weak giggle. "I like it with Soren actually. But it is cold."

            "Wind chill of minus ninety, I'm sure. It's a wonder they don't make sonic booms."

            "We don't move that fast," Soren said drily. "Just nearly."

            The door to Asher's inner office opened and he joined them, dressed in his familiar black silk shirt and black slacks. "what's up?"

            "Asmodai," Soren answered. "He was sniffing around Beth in my apartment."

            Asher frowned. "Not good."

            "That was my feeling. So, will she be safe here or do I need to take her to a church?"

            "I guess we'll find out. Mackenzie, where's that bottle of holy oil?"

            "Do I need to remember everything for everyone?" But she crossed the room to a cabinet and brought it out. "Since I'm Wiccan, I think it would be best if you applied it."

            "You mean since you're short and I can reach over the doors."

            Mackenzie sniffed.

            "I would suggest," Asher said to her, "that you add a few wards of your own."

            At that Mackenzie's entire demeanor changed. "You think we need that much?"

            "I don't know and I'd rather not find out."

            "Good point." Seeming much more subdued, Mackenzie began hunting through the drawers of her desk.

            Soren settled beside Beth and once again took her hand. She appreciated the gesture, the touch, the sense of safety it gave her. A short time later, Mackenzie was setting white candles around the room and lighting them, while Asher marked each doorway, wall and the one window with the holy oil.