Chapters 119 & 120 *Adult*

Selena shut the door behind her, slid the bolt into place, and looked out her window. She was relieved there wasn’t anyone standing on the street and let out her breath. “Maybe I’m imagining things again.” She told herself, walking over to the fireplace and knelt down to stoke the flames.

She nearly jumped from her skin when she saw a shadow out of the corner of her eye and laughed when it was her two-year old lab Shelly. “Don’t scare me like that Shelly. I suppose you want out in the yard.”

Shelly wagged her tail, turned, and ran for the door. Selena followed her and let her out in the backyard. Going back to her desk, she sat at the roll top desk and picked up the quill, dipping it in the well of ink and poised it above the paper.

Thinking for a minute, she began to write and her mystery character now had a name, Joe. Selena wrote for the next two hours and suddenly realized Shelly hadn’t scratched to be let back in.

Putting the quill down, she walked toward the backdoor and halted when Shelly sat by the kitchen table and a man with dark curls scratched her ears. Selena’s eyes widened and she was frozen in her spot.

The man smiled, standing up and Selena screamed and ran for the door but he was too quick and grabbed her around the waist, putting his hand over her mouth.

Selena gasped, sitting bolt upright in her bed and looked around her. It was only a dream.

Lying back, Selena thought about the mysterious man in the alley and wondered if he had indeed killed someone and if he did it on purpose.

The next morning, Selena walked toward the bookstore she managed and stepped inside, the bell chiming, announcing her entrance and smiled at Beth. “Hi Beth, did you have a nice evening last night?”

Beth nodded and pointed toward the back. “Yes Selena. There’s someone here to see you. He’s looking for a book on mysteries.”

Selena walked toward the back and froze when she stared into the dark green eyes of the stranger and when he spoke, she knew he was the man from the alley.

Joe thumbed through the pages but there were no more pages. Growling in frustration, he put it down and grinned. He liked her style of writing and him as one of her main characters intrigued him. He wanted to read more though. Joe nearly jumped when Lauren’s voice interrupted his thoughts.