Chapter Seventeen: Linked

Hey guys, got inspired to do chapter 17.. it will be in Emmets view and I will deliver some of what you guys have been asking for! Hopefully I will be able to meet your demands ;)

Enjoy

Chapter Seventeen: Emmet's view

Dumbfounded, my mouth drops open, completely shocked by my mother's words. "You cannot be serious! Why me? Why can't Aurora do it, she's the one with the bond!" I plead, not wanting the responsiblity of a human!

My mother sighs, turning her back to me, gazing out the window to the open sea. "She is nothing more than a friend to her now. Aurora is not mature enough to teach," She pauses, "Shimmer, our ways. Who picked that name for her? It suits her well. Never mind the name, you must be the one to teach her. After much praying to the Elder, I feel as if only you can do it, my son."

"Aurora did." I sourly mumble, unable to argue with my mother's wisdom. I always admired my mother and the way she speaks. Her voice remains amazingly soft and gentle, but also speaks with such authority that cannot be argued with. Like now.

Although her back is turned to me, I hear my mother's smile through her words. "Aurora is such a special talent, being able to save that human girl's life." 

"Yes, she truly is." I nod in stiff agreement. 

"Now go find Shimmer and teach her what you know. Also," she turns to face me, "study her markings. They are quite unusual and I find myself often wondering about them."

I silently bow to my mother, showing her my respect, and then leave the room to find Aurora and Charlie. I silently wonder how Radiance is getting along with my sister and Charlie, knowing that she was quite nervous to leave with them early morning. 

As I traveled down the hall, I happen to overhear two servants gossiping about the new mermaid, Shimmer as they know her. They too have noticed Charlie's unusal tail and worry grows in me, fearful that my father might discover her. I breathe a sigh of relief as I realize the servents only suspicion of Charlie is which Royal Clan she comes from and they both seem to drop the subject. 

It was not hard to find Charlie, as I sensed her in my sister's chamber. However, I was surpised to see her alone with her head bowed, looking crestfallen. As I appeared in the archway, she seems to not know that I'm here, or she made no movement to say so. 

Her black hair is spilled over her shoulders in silky waves that end at her midwaist. Her shoulders are slumped forward and tense, looking beaten and defeated. Her golden eyes, rimmed with thick long eyelashes are in a permant stare at her interlaced hands that are placed in her lap. Even her tail looked lifeless as it lays on the floor like a streak of sunlight contrasting sharply with the dark stone. The only clue that she was even alive was her steady breathing, otherwise she looked like a statue.

I start to pick up traces of heavy saddness blended together with strong, confused questions. I notice her shoulders are tembling now, and realize that she is crying but the water erases any evidence of tears. Her face is so soft looking, fragile almost, without the cloak of secrets she usually wears in front of us. She looks completely broken, not realizing that I'm watching her.

Why me? Her voice slips into my mind, leaving an echo of her question ringing in my ears while a surge of saddness overwhelms me. My heart suddenly leaps towards her, wanting to comfort her but all I do is clear my throat awkwardly. 

Her head snaps straight up, the softness immedately gone. "Oh!" The usual guarded look returns to her face but her eyes betray her, still holding her broken spirit inside of those pools of liquid gold.