Chapter 17

The ferries were coming later than expected. Three days later, to be exact. Hundreds of refugees had set up camp at Full Moon Bay as we all awaited their arrival. I kept to myself, for the first two days. No socializing, no bringing attention myself. I just wanted to get to the city without any trouble. However, by some sort of misfortune, a group of refugees around my age had taken notice to me. One of them was a tall, lanky boy wearing a straw hat and carrying a bow and quill filled with arrows. Another was a bushy-haired girl with red war paint on her cheeks. The third, who was quite obviously the leader of the trio, was equipped with hook swords and held straw between his teeth. He introduced them as Freedom Fighters, then introduced his group individually. "This is Smellerbee—"—He pointed at the girl— "—and that's Longshot." The archer boy nodded at me in silence. "And I," he leaned closely to me, the straw swaying too closely to my face as he spoke, "am Jet."

"Lily," I replied blandly. "It's nice to meet you all."

"Lily," Jet nodded. "It isn't safe to travel on your own."

"I'm sure I can manage," I said, disinterestedly. "I didn't get this far in life by just being a pretty face."

He laughed. "I like you, Lily. We could use someone like you."

Again, I dryly said, "I don't need anyone else's protection or help. Thanks, but I can manage."

Finally catching the hint, he turned and left. His comrades, however, stayed behind for a moment. Longshot looked at Smellerbee and nodded. "He's right," she said to me. "Jet's not as bad a guy as you may think he is. Come with us. You'll see."

"Wait," I said as I stood up. "So he just nods without saying a single word, or even making a sound, and you just know exactly what he's saying?" Smellerbee nodded. "Okay... Sounds weird, but okay." I followed them as they caught up to Jet, who looked back at me with a smirk.

"Just couldn't resist, could you?" He gloated. "I knew you'd come around. They always do."

"Don't flatter yourself," I rolled my eyes.

An hour later, the ferries arrived. We boarded together, though I only really spoke to Smellerbee, and she would interpret Longshot's facial expressions for me as I ignored Jet. Two refugees near us were leaning on the railing of the boat, the younger one complaining about the food, which I had fortunately declined. "I'm sick of eating rotten food, and sleeping in the dirt. I'm tired of living like this!" He said after spitting his food into the water.

"Aren't we all?" Jet replied after hearing this remark. "My name is Jet, and these are my Freedom Fighters: Smellerbee, Longshot, and Lily." I was just about to clarify that I was, in fact, not a part of his little vigilante group; but, when the two refugees turned around, every inch of my body froze. I couldn't speak. In front of me stood a familiar round man, and a more-than-familiar scar-faced boy. I couldn't believe my eyes. The scarred face turned away, but I locked eyes with his uncle. Luckily, he didn't say a word. Jet was going on about how the captain was eating like a fat, happy king while the rest of us were left with scraps and slop like animals. He had a plan to "liberate" some food, and, after throwing his bowl of food into the water, Zuko agreed to help.

They struck at nightfall, as Jet had put it. I opted to stay behind. No one questioned, and I sat with Iroh alone. "Lily," he said, more to himself than to me. "Such a pretty name." He looked at me and smiled gently. "I have been worried about you. It warms my heart to see that you are safe. I began to worry, what with traveling with the people that you were, that you would be hurt somehow— or worse!"

I smiled back. "I'm happy to see you, too. Though, I have to ask: Why are you going to Ba Sing Se? What happened after the North Pole?"

"That will be a story for another time," Iroh explained, gesturing that the others were returning. As everyone got settled, Jet passed around food to the other refugees.

"See?" Smellerbee whispered to me. "He's not a bad person." 

"You might be right, Smellerbee," I whispered back. "But it takes more than one instance to prove that to me."

"Smellerbee," Iroh interjected. "What an unusual name for a young man."

"Maybe it's because I'm not a man," she responded sourly. "I'm a girl!"

"Oh, now I see," he said uncomfortably, shouting after her as she stormed off. "It's a beautiful name for a lovely girl!"

Jet sat down next to me, handing me a bowl and flashing a quick smile. Zuko didn't look pleased, but he didn't say anything. He simply slurped on his noodles. "From what I heard, people like this every night in Ba Sing Se," Jet said. "I can't wait to set my eyes on that giant wall."

"I hear the city is beautiful," I added.

Iroh nodded. "It is a magnificent sight."

"So you've been there before?" Jet asked.

"Once," he replied, looking away shamefully, "when I was a different man."

"I've made some things in my past that I'm not proud of," Jet sighed, "but that's why I'm going to Ba Sing Se. For a new beginning, a second chance."

"That's very noble of you."

Jet looked at me, taking notice to my silence during the conversation. Unfortunately, my mouth was stuffed with noodles at that very moment. "What about you?" He looked like he was trying not to laugh. "What are you and your appetite going to the city for?"

Swallowing my food, I said, "I've never lived my life without having to depend on anyone else to protect me, and I've hurt a lot of people in the few years I've been on this earth. Just like you, I want a fresh beginning; I want to write my own story and leave my imprint on this world, my way."

Iroh smiled at me. "I believe people can change their lives, if they want to. I believe in second chances." At this, he glanced at Zuko, and Zuko looked at me.

Desperate to leave the awkward tension, I set my empty bowl down, thanked Jet and Zuko for the food, and declared that I was going to find somewhere to sleep. When Jet volunteered to help, Zuko said abruptly, "She can take care of herself."

Before anything else could be said, I shrugged, "He's right." I took the straw from Jet's mouth and held it between my own teeth, smirking. "I appreciate the chivalry, but I think I can handle it." I smiled. Behind me, Jet was blushing, Iroh was chuckling, and Zuko stared with an unreadable expression. 

Just when I thought my life was going to get easier, Karma reared her ugly head and brought back the two people that could either make my life better or worse. Something told me it would be the latter.