Chapter 28

The carriage ride to the palace was quiet the next morning. Iroh was simply too excited for conversation, I was incredibly sleepy, and Zuko acted as my pillow. By the time we reached the palace, I had to force myself to remain as awake as possible. Upon our arrival, I felt an uneasiness that the others didn't seem to feel. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but something told me that trouble was ahead. A very familiar kind of trouble.

"Many times, I imagined myself here," Iroh said as the carriage pulled away from us. "At the threshold of the palace. But I always thought I would be here as a conqueror. Instead, we are the Earth King's personal guests, here to serve him tea! Destiny is a funny thing." 

"It sure is, Uncle," Zuko laughed as we approached the palace doors. We were greeted at the door and guided through the labyrinth of hallways to the throne room. We sat at a table in the center of the room, but the king was nowhere to be found. Iroh began pouring tea, as peaceful and patient as could be. Zuko, as usual, was not. "What's taking so long?" He asked restlessly.

"Maybe the Earth King overslept," I suggested with a yawn.

Just then, about a dozen Dai Li officers came into room and encircled us. 

"Something's not right," Zuko whispered.

I had another unsettling feeling in my stomach, and I soon saw why. Clad in the Earth Kingdom's customary green formal wear, the embodiment of evil came sauntering into the room. "It's tea time," Azula said. "Have you met the Dai Li? They're earthbenders, but they have a killer instinct that's so firebender. I just love it." She looked at me, and scowled. "I see you still have the street rat with you," she said. "You just seem to be everywhere I go lately. Well, that'll change soon enough."

We all quickly stood to our feet, mentally preparing ourselves for a battle. Iroh picked up his cup of tea. "Did I ever tell you the story of how I got the name The Dragon of the West?"

"I'm not interested in a lengthy anecdote, Uncle," she frowned.

Iroh smiled. "It's more of a demonstration, really." He took a sip of his tea. Zuko smirked, then pulled me down with his as he ducked. He shielded my head with his arm and flames emitted from his uncle's throat. Once the Dai Li was distracted, Zuko broke through the screen section of the wall and we were all sprinting down the hallway. The Dai Li didn't hesitate to pursue us. Two of them were already in the hall, earthbending at us. We turned a corner just in the nick of time. Iroh bent lightening through the wall that was supposed to prove to be a dead end. He jumped into the courtyard, but I couldn't do the same. 

Even after flying on Appa, my fear of heights decided to make an appearance at the worst time possible. 

Zuko grabbed me by my shoulders and turned me to face him. "You'll be okay," he said in a low voice. Knowing I would refuse to jump, he shoved me through the opening. The fall was three stories, but it felt even higher. I felt even more terrified than when the Avatar gang and I were plummeting into the swamp. My stomach was tossing and turning. The air was knocked out my lungs when I landed on a topiary. Iroh ran to me as I gasped for air, yelling up to Zuko, "Jump! You'll be fine!"

"I'm tired of running," Zuko said, then turned and disappeared into the palace. "It's time I faced Azula!"

Iroh helped me to my feet as I struggled for breath. 

"I know—" I gasped. "— I know where—" Gasp. "— where we can get help." Gasp. Cough. "He needs help." I forced myself to run, no matter how much it burned my lungs and throat, or how much my body ached from the fall. We were in the upper ring, and so was our only hope:

The Avatar. 

Iroh yelled for me to stop running, that I needed to slow down so I could breathe. I ignored him, of course. Zuko needed help and I was going to get it for him, whether he wanted it or not. I reached the door of their home and knocked, and quickly fell to my hands and knees. Iroh caught up and ran to my side, one hand on my back and the other trying to lift me back up.