Chapter 18

"Lily. Lily," Smellerbee was pulling me by my wrists. "It's time to go. Why are you still sleeping?" Somehow able to decipher whatever mumbling noises I made, she said, "We made it to the city, so get your butt up!" At this, I snapped out of my sleepy delirium and stood up. "Finally," she sighed in relief. "Come on."

The refugees were all lined up within the wall, waiting to show their passports and gain access to their new lives. I stood behind Zuko and Iroh, almost instinctively, as the line slowly inched forward. Jet and his posse had disappeared in the hectic crowd, though I wasn't complaining. The two of them handed their passports to the crabby woman behind the counter. At the first sign of distress, Iroh flirted his way out of it, comparing her to a flower in bloom and claiming that her looks were "intoxicating". Zuko visibly gagged. I covered my mouth to keep from laughing. The woman stamped their passports and winked as the two walked away, her smile dropping once she saw someone was else was in front of her. I slid my passport onto the counter, and her eyes widened. "Lily Beifong," I introduced myself. Without hesitation, she stamped the passport.

"My apologies for making you wait," she fawned. "It is a pleasure to help anyone of the Beifong family." I didn't say a word as she handed the passport back. Iroh and Zuko hadn't gone far, and they'd overheard the encounter. Iroh frowned, somehow knowing what I'd done, while Zuko simply looked at me in confusion. He must not recognize me, I thought. Or maybe he thinks he does. Either way, it'll make this whole thing easier on the both of us. I walked past them, stopping for a moment and turning to them. I bowed shortly and said, "It was wonderful meeting the two of you." 

Unfortunately, I wasn't quite as disassociated with the Freedom Fighters as I'd assumed. The very moment I sat down on a bench, there they were, walking directly towards me. 

"All alone again?" Jet sat next to me. "You know, we could use someone like you in the Freedom Fighters."

"I'll pass." I looked at Smellerbee, who was giving me a pleading look. Longshot stared blankly. Was he saying something, or just looking at me? I looked at Smellerbee again and stood. "You," I said. "Come with me." She and I walked a good distance from the others, then I asked, "Why are you so determined to have me around?"

Immediately, her tough persona faded. "I'm sorry, okay? We're trying to start fresh, and Jet needs someone to keep his head straight. I just... I thought you'd be that person."

"I'm not going to be used as some realist," I protested, crossing my arms. "I came to this city to be on my own, not join another group."

Smellerbee thought for a moment. "That guy with the scar— Lee. Jet said that he told him that he's learned something: Being on your own isn't always a good thing."

"He said that?" My stomach plunged. For some reason, this felt directed towards me. 

Smellerbee nodded. "Maybe you should take his advice. You don't have to be alone."

I sighed in defeat, seeing no point in arguing anymore. "Fine, whatever." She gave me a faint smile (I could tell that she didn't do it very often.) and we rejoined the boys. Jet had turned his attention to Zuko, while Iroh called a vendor over that was claiming to have the "best tea in Ba Sing Se". By the time we'd caught up, Zuko was walking away to sit with his uncle once again. Suddenly, Jet looked furious.

"What's the matter?" I couldn't help but ask.

"They're firebenders," he replied through gritted teeth. "The old man heated his tea."

"So... You think they're firebenders because he had hot tea?"

Not amused by my remark,  he began to storm off and head towards the train that would take us into the city.

"Jet, relax!" Smellerbee said as we followed. "So old the guy had some hot tea, big deal."

"He heated it himself!" He barked. "Those guys are firebender." As we crammed into the train car, I spotted Zuko and Iroh getting into a car further down. 

Just when I thought the city would be peaceful....