Chapter 20

I proceeded to live the next two weeks through my routine, as if the incident with Jet never happened: Wake up before the crack of dawn, get ready, race to the middle ring, work. However, there was an addition to my routine. Every day, I met Jin at the tea shop. I had told her about what had happened here that night, and all she seemed to be able to focus on was Zuko. One day, while sitting at our usual table in the corner, Jin smiled at me as if she knew something big — which she did. "I know," she said, incredibly vaguely.

"You know what?"

"I know about you and him," she whispered, pointing to Zuko as he served the table adjacent to us. "That's the boy you told me about, the one you grew up with, isn't he?"

"How did you—"

"I've seen the way you look at him whenever we come in here," she laughed. "Have you guys spoken since you've come into the city?" 

I shook my head, "Not exactly..."

"Why?!" She realized she was getting a little too loud when the entire shop stopped to stare at her. She blushed, then lowered her voice as everyone resumed their own conversations. "You two are meant to be, remember? I mean, I was going to ask him on a date... but now that I know?! No, you two are the ones that need to date!"

Taken aback, I laughed. "You were going to ask him out?" I asked. "Go for it."

"But, Lily, what about you?" She asked, "Don't you want to at least try to reconnect with him?"

I shook my head and smiled. "Jin, you like him, right?" She nodded. "Then go for it. Show him the fountain— which you still have yet to show me!— and have a great time." She asked again if I was sure, and I nodded. She looked up at Zuko, who was behind the counter, whispering to his uncle with their backs to us. 

"Do you think he'll say yes?" She asked.

"Of course," I said, and she stood up. She made her way to the counter, handing him her copper pieces. I couldn't hear what she was saying to him. Whatever she was saying was making Iroh grin like an idiot and Zuko blush awkwardly. Minutes later, she grabbed me by the hand and pulled me along as she walked out of the shop. "Well?" I asked.

"We're meeting at sunset." Now, she was the one blushing and grinning like an idiot. 

Jin and I parted ways; she went home to get ready, while I went home to simply rest. It wasn't often that I was able to be home before sundown, so I took advantage of such a rarity. I sat in front of the mirror and undid my shirt just enough to see the scar from my encounter with hook swords. Even after healing myself, there were still two white lines on my skin that did everything but go unnoticed. I'd come with the story that I had upset a cat-owl during my travels, which everyone that hadn't been there that night believed. A rap at my door made me fasten my shirt again before opening to see the unexpected visitor. When I did, it felt like all air had escaped my lungs. "Jet," I breathed out, my jaw dropped. 

"Don't look so surprised," he smirked, the straw in his mouth swaying. "Wanna head out tonight? The sun is setting, so no vendors or anyone will bother us."

Don't ask why I didn't just shove him out of the door and slam it in his face. Don't ask why I accepted the invitation instead of screaming at him. Don't ask why because I don't know. I don't know why I didn't do those things, but I wish that I had. I should've knocked him right through a window with a water tentacle, but I accepted his offer. Though, the entire time, I noticed something awry about him. But I couldn't figure out what. 

We did exactly as he'd said. That night, we walked through the streets of the middle ring, having absolutely no particular place in mind to go to. 

"What happened to your face?" He asked as we walked. 

I looked up at him in confusion. Did he really not remember? What did the Dai Li do to him. I simply shook my head. "Nothing," I said. "Just a mishap with a cat-owl." 

He continuously attempted to hold my hand, but I flinched away every time. Having already forgotten about Zuko's date, I was surprised when I saw the two of them when we reached the fountain that I could assume to be Jin's favorite spot in the city. She looked disappointed, but I couldn't make out what she was saying. 

"Looks like we aren't the only ones out tonight," Jet chortled. We stayed in our place in an alley out of sight, not wanting to disturb their night. Jin put her hands over her eyes, and Zuko took a deep breath. If there was one thing I knew by heart, it was how to tell when Zuko was going to do something ludicrous. "Hey, what is Lee—"

I didn't let him finish. I pushed myself up onto my toes and pressed my lips against his. Jet didn't hesitate to accept the kiss, placing on hand on the small of my back and the other on the back of my neck. I could hear swooshing, and I kissed Jet harder, and he returned the favor. Once the swooshing ended, I broke the kiss and looked over to see the lanterns around the fountain were lit. It was an absolutely beautiful sight: the water sparkled, the lanterns danced along the water, and the light gave the area a warm (and romantic, might I add) glow. I instantly understood why Jin was fond of this place. Jin was giddy when she finally uncovered her eyes. I looked back up at Jet, whose face was absolutely flushed of color. He clambered for words. "I-I... You— You... I... What... I—Wow..."

I laughed softly, mostly at the sudden diminishing of his macho persona. I looked over at the other two again. Jin was leaning in for a kiss, which was almost reciprocated. Their lips brushed together before Zuko pulled away. When asked what was wrong, he cryptically replied, "It's complicated... I have to go."

He left Jin standing there alone, and it took everything in my power to not run to her aid or force Zuko to stay with her.