Nine

x

Arms crossed, face hard, I kept my cool. There was dried blood on my forehead from the fight but I pretended it didn't hurt. The room that smelt of cigarettes and the grey cement walls that made you feel trapped. I had nothing on me. My backpack and knife was gone.. even Phil. 

A man slammed the door open causing me to jump but I didn't change my expressionless face. 

"Daniel Howell. Your records are clean but we have reason to believe they're not" He pulled out the chair in front of him letting it scream against the cement floors. 

"What is the reason?" I ask, voice deep and dark. He opened a folder in front of him. 

"When we took you and Philip in, we believed you were the sex offenders that poor boy had to deal with. He came in and said you saved him and the actual sex offender escaped through the window..." 

"So why are we still here!" I shouted in his face. 

"Because. This last three days you've been with us.. those murders stopped. Now we believe you and your friend were the killers" His voice got loud with mine as he barked in my face the cold hard facts but I denied it. 

"No.. you really think we would be so stupid to get into something like that?" I fought back thinking of anything I could.

"Mr. Howell... why were you in that house in the first place?" 

"We heard his cries for help" I answered quickly. 

"Is that right?"

"Mhm" I sat back and crossed my arms with a raised brow.

"Well that's not what Philip said." He played a tape from Phil's interview. 

"So you knew the guy?"

"Yes of course. We were over there having a couple drinks just hanging out when the kid came over and he tried to show us... you know.. what he did. We of course thought it was disgusting and saved him just as you got there and he got out" Phil had said. 

"No you see we had some to drink, and maybe Phil forgot a bit b-"

"Do not!... Change your story. We have reason to believe that you and Philip are the murderers and you will not leave this place until you speak to a judge. End of story... Benjamin take him back to his cell. He is not to even glance over at Philip until court date" he slammed the folder shut and the security guard took me away. 

- the other night - 

"God Phil I'm so sorry. It's all my fault" 

"No it's okay. We're in this together we'll get out together. For a while we just need to stay low. Maybe kill people in completely different areas? I don't know something to throw them off.." Phil ran his hands through his hair. 

"Let's put his body somewhere okay? Then we can talk to the kid" I nodded at him and tried to not freak out. 

Phil and I got the body of the man on the floor and we made the kid scrub off his blood. We can't leave tracks anymore we need to be quiet and die down for a bit. 

We walked his body to the nearest dumpster and dropped him off there. Phil hugged me and took a deep breath. I bet ever since I came into his life it's just been downhill for him.

Suddenly we saw policemen drive up with bright lights but no sirens. They got out of their car and pointed guns at us. 

"Don't run." Phil whispered and held up his hands. I followed his actions just as the boy came out of the house. He gasped and did it too but they took the kid away and helps him home where a worried brother was. 

An officer grabbed my hands and pushed me against the door hurting my head.

"Hey!" Phil shouted and pulled the officer off only making more him mad and push Phil to the ground. 

"Don't hurt him!" I shouted as they shoved me in a car and drove me away.

- present day - 

I shook my leg as I sat on my 'bed'. I wondered where Phil was. I haven't seen him since they took me away. Days had passed and I hadn't slept much at least I don't think. There's no sun in here or clocks. I'm trapped in a stupid cell waiting for something to happen. They give me food but it sits there on the floor until they give me more. 

"Daniel" I heard as someone approached the door. I rushed to it to see several security guards ready to take me somewhere. 

I was fighting their arms but they were too strong for me. I was pushed into a chair in front of a judge and a jury. 

"Do you swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth" The judge spoke loudly and clear. I stared at her with a smirk and no words. I turned my head a bit but continued eyeing her down. 

"Do you swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth!" The security guard next to me boomed. I looked at him and nodded, not quite scared just tired of authorities.

They brought Phil in and made him do the exact same as I but instead of eyeing the judge, he eyed me. His eyes were empty and dark. I missed him and he missed me. 

The judge started with me, going through the history of my father and how they're both dead now since I've 'been on the run'. The truth is... they know nothing. 

Then they went on to Phil and talked about his history. He seemed nervous for some reason as his leg bounced as wildly as mine. 

"Is this true?" The judge finished. 

"Your honor.. I need to use the bathroom" He didn't answer her. 

"It can wait. Is it t-"

"Your honor. I would be happier answering you if my bladder wasn't stinging. May I use the restroom" He asked louder. 

She nodded and the security guard by him helped him out. We waited in silence for a couple minutes. The judge tapped her fingers and I shook my leg some more.

"He got out!" The security guard suddenly stormed in sending others after Phil. I smirked slightly but it stops when a guard yanks me away from my seat. 

"I'll put Howell back in his cell." He pulls me away from the commotion and all I'm thinking is- I hope they don't find Phil and this guard needs to loosen his grip.

"Ow! Christ!" I slap his arm to make him stop.

"Sorry" He chuckles. Of course... It was Phil. 

"Oh my god" I laughed quietly and leaned into him. 

"How the hell do we get out of this place?" Phil looks around. He pushes me behind a hall and holds up a hand. "Oi he just ran through here!" He calls to them. 

After a moment of rushing guards, we make a run for it and get to the front desk when the lady sitting gasps and tries to call someone. Phil wastes no time grabbing a pen and stabbing her neck. 

"You ready?" He asked through the heavy mask of the suit. 

"Take me away, Phil" I smiled. We leave the building quickly. Everyone is so busy in trying to find Phil that no one sees us. 

We run for twenty minutes before stopping and hiding under some trees. I was out of breath and so was Phil so he started discarding the heavy clothing. 

"I missed you Phil" I pulled him in for a hug and kissed his cheek a billion times. 

"I love you Dan" He kisses my lips. I'm left blushing and watching him do what bored people in trees do. 

-

Sorry this was so short ah! And sorry I haven't uploaded in a looooong time.