Chapter 4:The Back Story I

Simon's POV

"In that case, this way!" I spoke, and walked over to the bookshelf that was against the wall. Jeanette followed.

"Now, I'm sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause, but we're going to have to climb up this shelf...heh heh..." I chuckled nervously , whilst scratching the back of my neck.

Jeanette tilted her head way all the way up, just to be able to see the full length of the shelf. Then she took a deep breath.

"Alright," she replied quietly.

Less than two minutes later we were both standing on top of the dark coloured shelf, taking a look of the library at the tremendous height.

"Wow...The library looks amazing from this height!" Jeanette gushed. I smiled and nodded my head in agreement.

"It's just here!" I turned around and pointed to the air vent that was about 5 paces away. I walked towards it and so did Jeanette. I undid the small and loosely secured screws and took off the cover for the vent. I jumped in first, then stuck out my arms to help Jeanette. When I felt that she had had a strong enough grip on my wrists I pulled her in...a little bit too hard.

You see, I didn't know that she was so light weighted, so I pulled her into the vent with force so that she would land safely inside.

But that wasn't the case here.

She flew inside an landed somewhere very unexpected.

She landed safely, alright.

Right on top of me.

Jeanette's POV

Uh oh. I could already tell that this didn't end up well, judging by the shocked silence that came from Simon. Wait, what? I was expecting the cold hard, feel of the metal beneath me, but instead I felt warmth, fabric and...a beating heart? It couldn't be...no no no NO NO!!! It couldn't possibly be...S-Simon???

I dreadfully opened my eyes after closing them out of fear from my landing. It took a while for my eyes to adjust, because they were shut so tight.

When I could finally see, I had probably one of the most vicious cases of butterflies, the biggest mini heart attack, AND the fiercest blush ever. I mean, my face was burning so much that I felt like a chipmunk kettle!

Why?

Because, just a mere inch away from my face was Simon's face and...well...there was no gap between our bodies. How embarrassing!!!

Why am I always the one to be stuck in these embarrassing, cringe worthy situations?!

Simon and I just stared at each other in shock and embarrassment. Although he wasn't blushing like I was, his heartbeat gave his feelings away.

Finally when shock was kicked out by common sense, I scrambled off of Simon and sat next to him instead, with my legs out in front of me, and my hands folded into my thighs. Simon sat up and sat in the same position as me, except he used his hands to support himself.

I tried to avoid eye contact, and looking at him in general, but I often found my self trying to take sneaky sideways glances, so I disciplined and punished myself by forcing my head in the opposite direction. I looked out of the vent square and stared at the library's belongings.

After what seemed like forever, Simon broke the overly-awkward silence by clearing his throat.

"Erm...sorry about, you know," he gestured to me falling on top of him.