Chapter 7: The Backstory IV

Jeanette's POV:

She vowed to herself, and indirectly to us, that she would make our lives a living hell. And, believe me, she really lived up to her pledge. Day after day street performing became bittersweet. It was sweet to get a lot of money to keep us going everyday, but it was bitter to have to see Lady Diane there everyday, and fearing that something bad would happen to us that day.

What she did to us was harmless at first; a few squirm-inducing glares during our performances here and there, and an occasional loud 'Boo!' to discourage us. But when she saw that we were immune to these things and were no longer fazed by them, she decided to kick it up a notch.

She began attempting to throw vegetables at us when no one was looking, then when someone saw one of us get hit, she would start to pamper us and act like she was innocent and trying to help us. When people saw her 'helping' us, they would go over to her and praise her, then she would slowly divert our audience to herself, and perform for them.

But it was okay because people started to talk about us to others, and brought their friends along to watch us, so we always had a crowd surrounding us, giving us money anyway.

Lady Diane got extremely annoyed with this, and finally realised that her ways to make our audience reduce, disappear and divert to her were ineffective and pointless, so she started to attack us personally instead.

Since no one really payed attention to her (apart from the occasional sideways glance at her rather odd choice of clothing) she was able to steal our lunch, and take away some of our entertainment that we would usually use whilst on our break. This, of course, didn't really effect us since most of the things that she took from us were easily replaceable anyway. In fact, some of our things needed an upgrade anyway so,really, she helped to quicken that process.

We made it clear that we didn't give a toss what she did to us, and that nothing terrible could happen to us when we were almost constantly surrounded by a crowd and the three if us where together.

So...Lady Diane went extreme.

I truly don't know up to this day what possessed her to do the thing I am about to tell you about, but it was absolute madness in every way.

She...she started bringing a knife with her everyday.

At first we had no idea what was going to happen, and we were terrified because if there was anyone who she hated and wanted to injure the most, it most definitely would have been us.

And we were proven right. She attempted to slice through our skin.

She tried to cut Ellie's calves, but got her ankle instead.

She tried to stab Brittany's heart, but got her upper arm instead.

She tried to stab through my stomach, but got my lower arm instead.

This, of course, terrified us and made us feel totally unsafe, even with the crowd surrounding us. So, even though we really didn't want to, we had to tell Ms.Miller. She would've found out about it anyway because of our scars and and Brittany's and my partially ripped clothes.

She almost fainted when he heard the news. And, honestly, she had every reason to be worried. As a result at her attempt to protect us, she banned us from performing for a month.