Chapter 5:The Back Story II

STORY CONTINUES:

'Okay, girls...I've made my decision...' Mrs.Miller snivelled, and looked at all three of us.

'You were right, the money is low and we do need to do something about it. And you were also right about growing up and...' She swallowed hard '...and having to go off for education and jobs. So, yes. You...can go and do street performances to...to earn some more...money,' She snivelled again.

'But, before you go off and develop and show off you're talents in the outside world, I just want to let you all know how polite and lovely and beautiful you have all grown to be. Each of you are equally special to me and I love you all.' She smiled tearily, and sat down in our old, soft, pink-beige armchair. Brittany, Eleanor and I came to her, Eleanor on the back of the armchair, next to Mrs.Miller's head, Brittany on the right armrest, and me on her lap.

'I also wanted to tell you how sorry I am, not being able to provide enough for you, and for not being the best carer in the world. I really do feel bad, and having to let my own children go out and earn money for the family just because I can't is a shameful, disgraceful, abominational sin that should not be forgiven. But for our case...I guess we'll do what we must. I'm so proud of you all, being so strong and handling the situation so maturely. Thank you for that.'

She turned to Brittany and patted her knee. 'You are my little drama queen. You may be a handful at times, don't get me wrong! But you do have a true heart of gold, and are polite, understanding and caring when you want and have to be. Never loose that sass and spark! That's what makes you yourself. Stay safe and sensible, for me, will you?' Brittany gave a grateful smile and nodded.

Eleanor flipped over and perched onto Mrs.Miller's shoulder, and she ruffled her blonde bangs. She turned to her next.

'Ah, my young Ellie! What a champion and fighter you are! A very brave and courageous girl, determined to help and fight for what's right in any way. That's a great characteristic to have, you know, so use it to its fullest! You are perfect just the way you are, even if others say otherwise.  Keep on fighting and surviving for me, will you?' Eleanor grinned and held both thumbs up, to ensure that she agreed.

Mrs.Miller then turned to me, and tickled under my chin. I giggled and Mrs.Miller smiled and began to talk.

'And you, my daydreamer and nature-loving girl. You can at times be clumsy and somewhat gullible. But you are also kind, forgiving and intelligent. A very calm and reserved person. Stay that way, and look after your sisters for me, will you?' I gave a reassuring smile and she smiled, too. Then she pulled us all into  big hug. I snuggled into her soft stomach, breathing in her sweet, flowery scent. Then we all fell asleep, huddled together, out of exhaustion.

*

The next day we prepared to go through our first day of street performances. It was exciting and scary at the same time. We decide it would be best to perform in a well populated place, so we went to a lane that lead up to the mall.

We didn't actually have any material, or backing tracks. We just had our voices and dance moves. We just had to work with what we had!

Brittany stood in the front centre whilst I stood to her right, and Eleanor stood to her left.

Brittany was usually fearless when performing, and loved to show off her talents, but this time she looked nerve-wracked. I don't really blame her. She has to be the lead singer and has to start us all off.