Chapter 1

"Mr. Smith, you're looking dashing as ever." I said to the balding man whose only assets were probably locked up in a bank somewhere in Europe.

However, he took the compliment and grasped onto my hand to give it a kiss.

I smiled gently. Mr. Smith was an old client and one of the good ones who only needed a little company. He wasn't married, didn't have kids, and never asked me for anything other than a night out or a company dinner such as tonight.

I saw him as an uncle figure, although it was clear to me that he saw me as much more. He respected me but never held back with insinuations

"Speak for yourself Laurielle. You look...good enough to eat" He said before taking me by the waist and leading me into the ballroom by my waist. I did not miss his double meaning but chose to ignore it.

I let out a forced laugh. "Thank you, remind me again what this dinner is for? Don't want to walk into there blind."

"It's for a few businessmen I've been trying to get to invest into my project. You don't have to worry yourself about it." He said.

This must be a big event, as they always are, since he owned the biggest tech companies in North America. He was a rich man, and the countless dinners that I have attended with him serve as proof; there was never an instance when he had to kiss up to other people, it was always the other way around.

We walked into the grand room together and were greeted with at least a few hundred people dressed in suits and gowns. I could immediately spot the social hierarchy from the way everyone was standing.

The rich ones were surrounded by dozens of lesser known or less influential people who were no doubt kissing up to them.

Tonight, there were three people who acted as the central nuclei of the event. The first was Parker Dane, heir of the largest bank in the world and notorious playboy. He was swarmed with famous investors and economists who wanted connections and at least half of the women here who wanted to spend a night with him. I don't blame them. He has what I would call the Quadruple Prince Charming Package: charisma, wealth, youth, and looks.

The next was James Rowen, Chairman and acting CEO of the only electro- and hydro-system in the state. His monopolised business meant that he was one rich man. There were obviously less women surrounding him, despite the fact that he was said to be cheating on his wife. I could confirm this since I am his current mistress

I sent him a smile when our gazes met. He'll likely give me a visit tonight.

However, the identity of the third person was a mystery to me. This was odd since I've attended enough of these conventions to know as many people as Lionel. This would probably be one of those exceptions.

"Mr. Smith, who is that man over there, the one standing next to Peter Phillips." I turned to Lionel.

He squinted his eyes a bit because of his poor eye sight and paused before he responded.

"That, my dear, is Asher Chase. He is my prime target for tonight. I spent at least a month and half a million dollars in gifts to get him to come. If he agrees to invest in my project, this entire night would have been worth it"

Asher...

I winced at the name. I had only known one Asher in my life and that one had been a jerk and a liar.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Work your magic on him." I said to encourage him. There had never been a person who Lionel had not been able to persuade.