Chapter 7

"I was surprised that you called." I said softly, while looking at Parker Dane through my lashes.

"Then you wouldn't be able to imagine my surprise when I found out from Mr. Smith that you worked at an escort." He turned to open the car door and getting out. He offered his hand out to me. "But then again, it made it much easier to ask you out." He smirked.

I took his hand and slid out of the car onto the plush midnight blue carpet.

Parker held his arm out, and I hooked mine into his. My bare arms resting on his silky suit sleeves. We both walked into the huge meeting room of The Dane, one of Parker's many hotels.

The room was already filled to the brim with powerful guests all in beautiful suits and gowns. However, they paid no attention to each other, but instead turned to stare at Parker and I. We must have made such a picture; a young and handsome billionaire with a pretty girl hanging off his arm.

Parker paid no attention to them and turned to me and whispered closely to my face, "They're all staring at you Ms. Cartaro"

I'm not sure what response he was looking for, but a light blush covered my cheeks. "They always are Mr. Dane. I tend to be quite an attraction at these events."

His dark eyes lit up and his lips slowly curved into a smile.

"I wonder why." He replied while his eyes flittered from my lips to my nose and up to my eyes. My fingers tingled, and I held onto his arm harder.

He turned back to the crowd and cleared his throat. "Well, Ms. Cartaro, I think it's time to show you off to all these gaping men. Shall we?"

I replied with a small nod.

————————————————-

"And there, that's Mr. Charles. He owns a motor company, but behind closed doors, under an alias name, he runs a racy lingerie store uptown. Probably just one of his many interests outside of making cars. We should go visit it sometime." Parker said while whispering.

I let out a laugh, probably the hundredth one this night. Parker knew his way around words and charming girls. I caught myself many times tonight from getting lost in his sparkling eyes and sweet words.

"I would love to. Who knows, I might just be interested in it too." I replied.

His eyes revealed a mischievous glint. "It would be my pleasure."

I blushed. "You can call my manager for that. For now though, I need to go to the ladies room. Don't miss me." I slid out of my chair, my clinging dress trailing after me.

"Oh I will." Parker said.

With a beaming smile, I walked out of the main ballroom towards the washroom. I saw the ladies room just outside the ballroom, so I tried to make my way there.

However, just when I saw the small female sign on the wall, just as I was about to walk into the safe haven that was the washroom, I was yanked by the arm and pulled into a small crevice in the wall.

"What the he—" My breath caught in my mouth. The words cut in half by Asher Chase.

I should have expected him to be here, he did run with the same crowd as Parker after all. But I had been working so hard to forget him these past few days that I refused to even think about him, and the possibility that he would be here.

"You left the other night." He whispered.

I glared at him, trying not to show how scared I was of this man who knew everything about me, willing him to let go of me, I stated, "Your booking ended."

His eyes hardened.

"Seems like you're enjoying the party" He snarled out while gripping onto my arm.

"I.." I couldn't even spit a word out at him. I was completely frozen with fear and vulnerability that only Asher would bring back. Panic flooded me at the though of being so close to him. If only he knew.

"Three men in two weeks? Or were there more? God, you looked so shameless there with Dane."

I could feel tears stinging my senses and I let out a trembling breath. Even though I tried to convince myself that I hated Asher for years, his opinion used to be the most important thing to be, and I guess I haven't gotten the habit, because his insult still hurt. I tried to pull my arm out of his grip, to get away from him before I broke down, but he dug his fingers in deeper, keeping a firm hold of me.

I looked up into his familiar eyes and begged for him to let me go. "Please Asher, you're hurting me." I hated how my voice trembled and sounded so weak— exactly like how I talked when I was younger.

His eyes softened back into the Asher I knew before. I guess he still knows some respect.

"I hate how you go around with men like an accessory. I hate how you look so confident standing next to them. And then I hate how you suddenly put up this stupid weak act that makes me feel like I'm the bad guy." He whispered while scanning my face and furrowing his brows. Then, almost as an afterthought, he added "Elle."

I winced. One more second with him and I would jump into his arms and tell him who I was. Even though he ruined me, he was the only person that I had ever loved. One more second feeling his warm hands on me and I would walk right back to his life. I wanted to reach out and tell him; my mind was screaming at me to. But instead, I took advantage of his softened clutch on my arm and yanked myself away. I pulled my walls back up.

"Please don't call me that, Mr. Chase. My name is Laruielle, and whoever Elle is, I'm not her. I don't know what you want, but I'm an escort. Our night meant nothing to either of us, so get it into your head that I'm going to sleep with other men. You can't expect me to act like Virgin Mary." I paused to take a deep breath, and took a second to pull the strap of my dress back into place. "Parker is waiting for me. I have to go. Please don't ever talk to me again."

With that, I walked back towards the ballroom, unable to stop the flood of tears that ran down my face. My feet moved, but my mind was still with Asher. I wondered why he looked so heartbroken when he called me Elle, and I wondered why I also felt heartbroken.

Gosh, I'm supposed to hate this guy.

I angrily wiped the tears away and put a smile back onto his face. I won't let him ruin tonight.

I walked back to the ballroom and walked towards Parker. He was talking to another man, so I slipped up beside him, resting my chin on his shoulder, mouth next to his ears.

"Do you want to leave?" I whispered.

He turned his head. "Sur—," He looked at me more carefully. "Were you crying Laurielle?"

I was surprised that he noticed the light pink around my eyes, but I was in no mood to receive sympathy; I wanted something else to distract me.

So, I wrapped my arms around his and planted my lips lightly on his neck.

"No, just had something in my eye." I paused to graze my lips down his neck. I felt him shudder, and I smiled. Men. I thought.

"I think it's time for us to go." He said in a deep voice.

The two of us ditched the party at only nine, and went to the penthouse suite.

That night, which would be the first of many, I drowned myself in sex and everything that was dirty and wrong to forget about my past, and to forget about everything that Asher brought back with him.

I guess I began to destroy myself from that night, no, it began earlier. I started when I offered myself on a plate to Asher, because I had lost all the respect that I had for myself that night.