Chapter Ten

Ratchet walked into the small room and stared sadly at his friend. Optimus had his arms folded on the bed as he held one of his sons hands. His head buried in the crook of his arm. The doctor walked over and gripped his friends shoulder.

"Optimus." He said quietly. The man looked up tiredly, his expression blank. "You need to get home to your family." The doctor whispered. He didn't answer as he looked at his son. Ratchet could tell Optimus was worried he would lose him as well.

"I'll watch him." He whispered. The father only nodded, knowing his children needed him. Optimus squeezed his eyes shut as he kissed his sons forehead. A single tear fell down his cheek and landed on the boys skin. Ratchet looked at the floor. He wished there was more he could do.

~

Mrs Johnson looked out the window again and frowned. She was frustrated that the childrens father wasn't home yet. It was getting late and she needed to get home. Considering she had things to do. She looked at the children as they sat on the floor together. They looked empty as they stared into space. She suddenly wondered if he would be able to care for them. She knew it had been hard enough for both parents to raise them. Now there was only one.

Could he handle it? Maybe they should stay with her until they could find a permanent home.

"Alright children get ready to go." She said as she grabbed her coat. They looked up at her with confusion.

"Why?" Bulkhead asked as he narrowed his eyes.

"Because you need somewhere to stay." She said as she grabbed some shoes.

"We aren't going anywhere until dad gets home." Bulkhead growled as he hugged his siblings closer. Smokescreen held on to his brother knowing he'd protect them.

"I'm not trying to frighten you." She said as she sat on the couch. "I'm just trying to take care of you." Arcee glared and the children stood up.

"Dad's going to take care of us." Bulkhead said seriously standing up straighter. The woman stood up feeling slightly frustrated, they didn't understand.

"It might be.... too overwhelming for him." She said as she stepped closer.

"What do you mean?" Smokescreen asked quietly as he looked up at her. His eyes full of tears as he gripped his brothers shirt tightly.

"Your father can't take care of you by himself. He just isn't able." Mrs Johnson said simply.

"That's not true!" The daughter yelled as she felt hot tears sting her eyes. Optimus opened the door and walked in. The children looked at their father and instantly felt safe.

"Daddy!" Arcee screamed.

He knelt down as she ran to him. She hugged him tightly around the neck and started to cry. Smokescreen ran as he cried and hugged him. Optimus wrapped his arms around them and looked up at his oldest. He could tell Bulkhead was trying to be strong for his younger siblings. His father gave him a look that said it was okay. Bulkhead choked back a sob and hugged his father tightly. Optimus felt his children shake as they each cried. It broke his heart and he couldn't hold his own tears back anymore. He buried his head and cried silently as he held on to them.

The father didn't know how long they sat there and he didn't care. He just held them. Letting his children cry and crying with them. After awhile when he couldn't shed anymore tears, he slowly looked back up at Mrs Johnson who had remained silent as she watched. He slowly and carefully stood up as his children continued to hold on to him.

"Thank you." He muttered unaware of the childrens conversation with her.

She simply nodded and slipped out of the home. Optimus closed the door and gently led his children to their rooms. It was late, and they were all tired. They were silent as he carefully tucked them in and gently kissed their heads. He stood in his room and stared at the empty space in his bed. He squeezed his eyes shut and turned away as he fought more tears. After a long while he finally retired to bed.

~

"Elita!!" Optimus yelled as he watched the truck plow into the car.

He started running as the truck hit them again. He wasn't moving very fast and all he could do was watch. The truck eventually stopped moving, and the father ran to the wreckage. He saw his wife laying against the wheel as blood ran down her face.

He yanked the door open and carefully pulled her out. She was limp as he held her and he fell to his knees. Optimus hugged her lifeless body tightly and begged her to come back. He heard footsteps and looked up as tears ran down his face. Megatron stood over him and smiled wickedly. He glanced behind him and Optimus followed his gaze. His eyes widened as he saw his children laying on the road. None of them were moving.

"NO!!" Optimus screamed as Megatron smiled wickedly.

~

The father sat up with a jolt and panted heavily. He looked around eyes wide and realized it was just a dream. He ran his hands through his wet hair and realized his shirt was also damp with sweat. He's breathing slowed and he buried his head in his hands. He sighed forcefully, and fought the image of Megatron killing his wife and family.

Something touched his leg and he furrowed his brow. He reached under the covers and grabbed a small foot. He looked over at the other side of the bed and saw a lump. Optimus gently pulled the covers back and smiled slightly. The three children were sleeping soundly in his bed. Smokescreen had been the one that kicked him, Arcee was curled up as she hugged a pillow, and Bulkhead slept on the edge to keep his siblings from falling.

Optimus straightened Smokescreen out so he wouldn't kick the others. He stroked the boys head as he smiled slightly, they must have come in shortly after he fell asleep. His smile faded a little, they missed their mother and baby brother. They probably felt scared and alone.... like he did.

Optimus laid down again and stared at his sleeping children. He wanted to hold them, take their sadness away. He watched them for a few minutes and slowly closed his eyes.

Smokescreen stirred and whimpered quietly as he slept. The boy wined and cried silently. Optimus carefully pulled him closer and hugged him gently. The little boy gripped his father's shirt tightly, and buried his face in his chest as he sobbed.

"Shhhh..... it's alright." He whispered as he stroked his hair.

Smokescreen shook a little from the sobs and quietly went back to sleep. Optimus felt little arms wrap around his. Arcee looked up at him as she hugged his arm tightly, she had tears in her eyes and she buried her head. Bulkhead looked at him for a moment then buried his head in a pillow.

Optimus reached over with his free hand and set it on the oldest sons head. The boy clasped his hand tightly and cried silently. The father fought his own tears as he listened to them cry. He buried his face in his sons red hair and exhaled shakily as he let a few tears silently fall. He held his children and didn't want to let go.

They were his whole world.