Prologue

I remember when life was different. When the highlight of my day was to finally crawl into what I called my bed and fall asleep.

Things change.

At only five years old I was admitted into the foster system with only one piece of information. That my name was Rey. I was adopted by a man named Unkar Plutt at the age of seven, he was a big and gruff man but at the time I was just happy that I had somewhere to call home.

I never went to school for Unkar said it was a "waste of time" so I spent my days cleaning up after his customers and listening to their small tidbits of conversation. Soon I met Luke, he was an old man who sat in the back and often looked like he was sleeping, he called it"meditation." He taught me things I've never learned and passed onto me words of wisdom. Luke was the closest thing I had to a teacher.

"Close your eyes and clear your mind." His voice was slow and calm and being the obedient student I was I listened. This was an everyday occurrence.

At the age of twelve Unkar had given me harder tasks to do and soon Luke didn't come anymore. I was alone once again.

I cooked, cleaned, and served the dirty and drunk men that came into his place everyday, filling the atmosphere with dirty words and the smell of vomit.

I remember the day where one of them called me over. His voice was garbled and smooth. The man called me girl and he beckoned me over with his filthy hand.

I was thirteen and naive.

His rough hand had grabbed my waist and his eyes scanned over me like a predator. I have never felt more disgusting. His voice was hot and low in my ear.

"Meet me out in the back later." He told me, I nodded slowly before scurrying away my cheeks hot. His laughter echoed behind me.

That night he had raped me, at age thirteen and that night is where I lost the last remaining hope I had left.

At age fifteen my heart had turned to stone. I couldn't and wouldn't trust anyone. Unkar still gave me orders and I followed them, like I had any other options.

I did and he came in the form of Benjamin Kenobi.

He was an elderly man who stopped by one day with a single question.

"Have you seen my granddaughter?"

Unkar had cursed him out and tried to shoo him away. The man stood there patiently. "Her name is Rey."

I was working the kitchen that day and I heard my name from outside. It was then I saw him, maybe then things would change.

Unkar shook his head. "No one is named Rey here."

At that moment I had new found confidence, my sixteen year old self surged with excitement. "My names Rey."

The man smiled and took out his hand. "My names Ben Kenobi welcome home."

After a legal battle and several nights of crying myself to sleep I was officially home with a part of my family. I thought things were going good.

At eighteen I met Finn Storm, a sweet guy who seemed just like me. Lost and scared. We became instead friends.

Then at age nineteen I stepped in front of my first camera.

"My name is Rey Kenobi and this is my story."

And from then things changed.

Sometimes I find it hard to believe that I used to be the girl with no family and no purpose, it seemed like so long ago. But here I am standing in front of a camera for what seems like the hundredth time.

"Hey guys it's Rey here!"

I smiled continuing. "Today I'm with my best friend Finn and we are doing the best friend tag!"

He smiled back at me and I looked down for a moment. Change can affect a lot of lives. It has affected mine and several others. Maybe if things were different I would be standing in Unkar's restaurant wondering what to do with my life. I decided I liked change, maybe a bit too much.