Chapter Thirty-Two

I tap my fingers on the desk, brushing back my bangs. Short hair was a hundred times better than long hair, in my opinion. You didn't have to brush nearly as much, you didn't have to put it up in gym or when running, and it stays in one place. I ran into Mandy earlier, where I was sure I was going to be shunned. 

   Nope.

   Instead, she squealed and hugged me, where I told her to pipe it down. She chatted to me that our cross-country practice will be in the track on Friday, right after school. Then we parted, like I wasn't a horrible friend or anything. But one thing she said bothered me, though.

   "You're okay?" Her eyebrows were raised and scrunched in either shock or surprise. 

   "Yeah," I had said slowly. But then she switched topic before I could ask what she meant.

    Something weird was going on in the school, and I had something to do with it, whether I knew about the thing or not. Maybe Joey, too. 

   "Eliot!" Mrs. Fern snaps. I flicker back to reality. "Take your test, and Do. Not. Cheat. Hear me?" She says it slowly, like she wouldn't hesitate to fail me if I tried something. I may skip school once, but I do never cheat. That's an insult on my ego.

   I narrow my eyes and slip out of my desk, far, far away from Ryan. I walk up to the front and take it from her, muttering a "stupid" under my breath. She doesn't seem to hear, and I walk quickly back before she does. I put it on my desk and glare once more across the room, where he reads, with all his homework done. I scowl and take out my pencil, but I catch the smirk he casts to me over his book, not raising his eyes.

   I skim through it, knowing all the answers off the top of my head. I only pause when I have to write a paragraph about the diference of monocots and dicots. Easy-peasy. I wonder why I have a D in science, if it's this easy. But then again, I had all weekend to study.

   I feel a tingle in my pocket as I remember the note, like it sparked against my leg. I bite my lip and finish the test, quickly handing it to Mrs. Fern.

   "Now read!" she orders.

   "No problemo, por fa vor," I say. She narrows her eyes at me, but I walk back to my desk. I take out my book and the note along with it. I unfold it silenty between the open pages, making sure Mrs. Fern isn't watching. She's on her computer, tapping away. Slowly, I unfold the paper so I stays behind the pages, but is readable.

   The handwriting this time is sort of sloppy, and more boy-like. 

   "Eliot,

   I know you don't like girly stuff, and I love that. You're tougher than me most of the time :) But I dont find anything girly about the dance. Before you can say no, 

   WILL YOU GO TO THE FALL DANCE WITH ME, ELIOT PETERSON?"

   He had written the last part in bold capital letters, so I wouldn't miss it. I cover my mouth with my hand.

   "Shocking book, Ms. Peterson?" Mrs. Fern says suspitiously.

   "Very," I say. I drop my hand. I reread the letter over and over, not knowing how to take it all in. Death Head just asked me to the fall dance! But I don't like dances, do I? No.

   But he just asked me. I can't say no. . .  can I? I'll be a real jerk if I said I won't go just because I don't like them. Besides, it's only for one night. Maybe only an hour. It's formal attire, though, and I don't have a dress. I don't even own a skirt. I would have to ask somebody for one, and I don't want anybody more to know that I went to this stupid dance. Maybe Mandy? But I'm sure she's not my size. She's far too tall for my short legs.