Prologue

Dear Peter Pan, my windows open, please come and rescue me.

A recurring thought of mine. Well, actually more of a wish or desire.

It's not that I hate my life, but I know people wouldn't care or bother to look for me if I went missing. Not anymore at least.

The first time I went "missing" or "ran away" was when I was 8 years old. Even so, I didn't mean too, I was a curious little kid and my imagination was running wild.

I was a brave pirate sailing at sea, the waves were getting higher and higher, coming faster and faster. I tried my best to avoid them, but it was impossible.

My venture at sea ended with a ship crash and I was thrown overboard onto an island. The island was very mysterious and it was full of potential. So I took the plunge and went into the dark jungle.

It was also known as little me on a pirate themed playground and wandering away from my mom.  But my way is more fun.

She went in a frenzy looking for me even if it only took 20 ish minutes.

I never wanted to leave her from that moment on. I felt too guilty too. Imagine little 8 year old you: Seeing your mother, the woman who birthed, fed, and protected you all your life crying because of you.

When I was 13, she had her first seizure. The doctors don't know what caused it, but it kept happening. Not too often, it started out maybe 2 per month but quickly moved to 4 or 5.

She was diagnosed with epilepsy the following year. It was impossible for her to deal with, she fell into a deep depression. We were an extremely broken family. Dad left before I was born, her parents left because she a was a teen pregnancy, and she felt like she was alone. Never turned to her other family because she felt like they would be ashamed of her, it was just us.

She was determined to make life work for us, working 2 jobs just to send me to school. But her depression took over. She was left in the room by herself, I was told she found a doctors scalpel and killed herself, leaving me to the foster system.

I'm now 16, and my latest foster parents are the worst I've ever dealt with. They have their own children and foster 3 others including myself. I didn't feel safe in that house anymore, and I ran. I know they don't care, they never cared for their fosters. 

It's not like I don't blame them though. I'm not exactly the picture perfect kid; I smoke a lot, i've done some drugs and most of my possessions are what I was able to steal from stores.

But i'm sixteen now, I can get myself a job and I can do this. I took the first train I could get on without being seen. I didn't know where it was going to, but it was getting me out of Edmonton, and hopefully Alberta all together.
-------------------------------------
That night, I made friends with a homeless woman. She said if I managed to get us some food she would allow me to sleep with her, in her little community.

I took her bet and got us some food from the gas station a few blocks back.

"Oh thank you deary" she said, her voice was low and she sounded like a long time smoker. I smiled and handed her, her sandwich. "Uh, if you don't mind me asking, what city am I in?" I asked, the old woman looked stunned. "Don't let anyone hear you say that hon, you sound crazy" "it's just I'm not from here, I took the first train I could get my hands on" I stated.

The woman nodded her head as if she completely understood what I was doing and where I was coming from. "You're in Toronto sweetheart" she said. I couldn't help but widened my eyes. I swear the train only took me at most 3 hours.
-------------------------------------
When the old woman went to bed, I did what only monsters do. I took everything she had that was valuable to me; a pack of Paul Malls, a lighter and her pocket knife.

I needed these things, so I grabbed them and started to walk away, down the nearly empty street.

It was summer time, and it was warm out. So i wouldn't need a heavy jacket or anything. But I couldn't help to look in the shop windows. A Disney store was playing my favorite movie: Peter Pan, I smiled as tears welled in my eyes, reminding me of my mother. "I believe" I said, before continuing my way down the street.

That's when whatever came did, I was almost by the lake, when I was knocked off my feet and flying?

A scream left my mouth before I was passed out.