Chapter 14

Ava

(One week later)

Ava has been distant lately and it hasn't made my week any better.

But soon I'm gonna go check on her and she's gonna tell me what he did to her.

I walked up to Ava sitting in our cell on the bottom bunk. That's weird, she's usually on the top.

"Ava please your being really distant with all of us and it's scaring us." She didn't say anything. Soon after about 2 minutes she finally looked into my eyes and said " what do you not get? Revenge. He's coming back for revenge." And walked out of the room.

Revenge? What does she mean by revenge?

I shrugged it off and went to find her.

"Hey did you see where Ava went?" I asked dad on the way outside.

"She just ran outside to the gate. It looked like she was running away." Dad didn't answer instead Carol came in the room and she looked like she was about to burst.

"Yall didn't think to stop her?!" I yelled and walked away.

I ran back and started to gather my things in my bag quickly.

I grabbed my knife off of our table beside our bunks and bolted out the door.

"Carl, where are you going?" My dad asked stopping me before running out the door.

"Ava is gone and I'm going to find her. Don't tell Hershel or Beth. They're gonna freak. Just tell them we're on a run." I said. I wasn't even controlling what I was doing. But when we got kidnapped by the governor, I promised her, I would keep her safe. And that's what I'm going to do.

My dad nodded and do did the rest.

I bolted out the door once again and headed for who knows where. Just somewhere where I could find Ava.

*Ava's POV*

I can't. The flashbacks all came to me and i had to get away from there. I have to be on my own or I would go insane.

My own insanity taking my soul over wouldn't help with his situation and with Lori pregnant, isn't helping either.

It just puts more pressure on me.

A few streets down, there was a tree house I used to go down to with my old best friend, Who was still alive. Her name was Erin.

Putting her on my chest just makes it worse.

I sprinted up the road and down to Erin's old house and up a large oak tree down by Erin's neighborhood.

There in the leaves stood a big wooden house with a ladder nailed to the tree, and a front and back wooden porch surrounded by beautiful flowers in some parts of the tree.

I remember that one day, the first time we ever played in it ... just me and Erin.

*Flashback*

"Ava! Smile for the camera!" My mom, Evette, laughed pulling out her camera.

"Mrs Greene! Up here!" Erin laughed also, waving to get my mom's attention.

That was until I noticed she was doing a video.

"Hey Erin, lets go pick some flowers for your mom!" I smiled, pointing to the beautiful blossoms in the leaves above me and Erin.

My mom laughed and Erin and I went to go pick some blossoms.

But little did I know , one of the nails came out and me and Erin both went stumbling. The tree house was falling. But thank God it didn't.